Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
people in clermont and chuluota won't look down on you if you don't go to church, that's what they ment by liberal. And there are IT jobs close by.

True about church, but I wouldn't count on finding a decent 3/2 on two acres at that price in Clermont. You'd have to go further out into unincorporated Lake County, which generally means lesser quality schools. There are RN jobs in Clermont, some are PRN until you get your foot in the door. I/T? Not so much within 30 minutes. 45-75 would be more like it.

Honestly, before you pick up and move, come down and visit for a couple of weeks. Don't stay at Disney World, but instead stay in the towns you are considering and learn about them by eating and shopping at the local places, visiting their libraries, etc. Make sure your visit is in July, when it's 98 degrees and 100% humidity. You might very quickly decide that Florida is not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Downtown Winter Garden. Lots of quaint shops, not too urban.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Downtown Winter Garden. Lots of quaint shops, not too urban.
They wanted a 3/2 on two acres for $175. I don't think they'll find that in downtown Winter Garden.

And IMHO it's not that good of an area. Go a couple blocks out of that quaint little space and your mixing with crackheads in crappy apartments, people who let their dogs roam around, etc.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

Keep an eye on property taxes as well. I don't know how much you are used to paying in Indiana, but in Florida they tend to be OUTRAGEOUS! That's one reason we moved to Alabama.
Sorry, don't agree. Our property taxes have decreased $1400 since the burst. I think it depends on the county (Indian River County).

Melbourne on the Atlantic side has an good amount of midwesterners.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post

Where could we go that is a smaller town feel, country areas where we could have a small farm, that is somewhat more liberal as far as religion (I've seen some of the threads on here, and I am not into regular church going or having anyone look down their nose at me about it), with good schools (two daughters, 8 and 11), close proximity to nursing and IT jobs (within 30 minutes), that we could find a 3 bedroom/2 bath home for about 175,000 with at least 2 acres, with low crime?
Any big city will offer you an array of jobs, just move west of I-95 (if we're talking east coast) and you'll have that horsy, rural feel.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
To find liberal areas just look at the last presidential election voting results:
Map: Presidential Election Winners by County | Election 2008 | washingtonpost.com

Although it doesn't show up Sarasota county was evenly split and I find it to be a nice place to live.

Much nicer than Collier County and Naples, home of old ULTRA-conservative rich folks. You wouldn't think politics matters on a daily basis but I found it pervaded the atmosphere and not in a good way.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
So hubby suggested Florida. We know NOTHING about Florida, except that a travel nurse friend of mine said it's beautiful, warm and the people where she is are so pleasant all the time...she thinks it's because there is a lot of sun.

Wow, is that what they say about Florida up north...lol...sounds like a paradise to me! Anyways heres some places

Between Clermont and Groveland, Clermont might be a little too crowded for you, and Groveland a little too conservative, but right outside of Clermont towards Groveland might be perfect. Close to Orlando's west side, but with lower Lake county taxes. I am a product of Lake County's schools, so you will probably need to look into private schools or Magnet schools.

Someone said Oldsmar. Oldsmar is not rural, and to me it seemed VERY boring. There seems to be alot of retirees there, but they do have a very nice flea market, and its close enough to Tampa.

Also, right outside of Apopka, headed towards Rock Springs, its more of a country feel, but still close enough to work in Orlando.

Orange Park Fl - right outside of Jacksonvulle, kind of a country feel to it. jacksonville has tons of hospitals.

If your looking for a mid-size city check out Gainesville.

I think you can find a nice simple home for 175K

Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
My vote is Ocala/Gainsville.

O.P. Some freindly advice. Don't think you'll move there just to find Indiana with no Winter. IMHO it's one of the biggest mistakes people make when moving there. Florida is different. Not saying worse or better, just different. If you'll embrace what Florida is and enjoy the natural beauty etc that's there you'll do fine - that includes the hot Summer season. I think too many people have tried to make Florida something it's not naturally and that's where a lot of problems come from. I learned to love Florida when I got away from the "unatural" sprawl areas and into some smaller towns like Lake Placid, Lake June In Winter, Apopka (Back in the day), Clermont (Again back in the day), Monte Verde (Again back in the day lol) Deland, Cedar Key, Salt Springs (Ocala Forest) etc.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,080 times
you could try crystal rivers area have family down there nice small town or inverness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida