Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 13,895 times

Advertisements

In July we plan on taking a vacation to florida, we will be driving from Austin, tx. I am looking into Panama City, fl the Sandpipier Beacon. Does anyone have any info on Panama City area? We want to go to a KID Friendly area with BEAUTIFUL WHITE beaches unlike texas beaches! Would panama City be a good choose for us? we have 3 children ages 14, 12 and 3.... Or would Destin fl be a better choose for us? We would also like to site see on the way there- any suggestions for site seeing from the tip of texas to fl. driving down the coast line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,952 times
US 98 along the coast then onto 30A in Santa Rosa Beach for a scenic 18 mile drive...

need a place to stay?? hehehe

you'll pass through Watercolor, Seaside, Grayton Beach and Rosemary Beach among others. you may want to stay...forever!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM

63 posts, read 284,817 times
Panama City Beach is really economical but I've never been there in July, we always go late-August. It is supposed to be a party city for Spring Break, I don't know if that carries over into summer. We love staying at the Legacy By the Sea. We always just live on the beach but it seems like there are quite a number of activities in the city. A website called TripAdvisor has some great reviews of hotels, restaurants, activities, etc.
My husband and I love Destin too, but it seems more laidback. I could be wrong, we've never taken the kids. The Holiday Inn on the Beach is really nice though, and the kid-friendly suites look nice.
Both cities have AMAZING beaches!
If you go to Panama City Beach you MUST make a special trip to Thomas's Donuts.
I don't know the route you'll be taking from Texas but New Orleans might be worth stoping through. I LOVE the city, it has a ton of character and a fair amount for kids to do, but I find driving to be a hassle. It would be worth it to me, but I've never taken kids there and know it would be a lot to deal with. Depending on your older kids personalities they may really dig it.
GL!!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
Id choose Destin over Panama City ; Panama City struck me as a hangout for undesirables -- Destin is more upscale . Ton of water sports to do around Destin incl. water parks . Take the family on the Glass Bottom Boat ride and see exotic fish, coral reef, and narrated tour . Theres live music at the Destin Harbor Boardwalk each saturday night at 7 pm and every Thursday night on Navarre beach at 6:30 pm . Go parasailing, kite boarding , eat at Captain Kidds seafood buffet on Fort Walton harbor, charter a boat and fish for BIG ones, and dont experience the rip tides (body bags are expensive) .

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
P.S. Obtain your free 'Emerald Coast Guide' (summer edition) which has alot of coupons in the back, by emailing :
drussell@southwarddirection.com

Its lists everything to do along the NW Coast .

Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 13,000 times
Default how'd it go?

Just wondering how it went??? My husband and I are planning a road trip w/ our two kids and will be driving from the Austin area to Florida early Summer. Any tips that you can give would be appreciated!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:47 AM

28 posts, read 78,342 times
From someone who has vacationed on the panhandle of FL my entire life, I would choose Destin with kids. PCB is beautiful, but Destin is more kid friendly. A lot of new high-school grads take their senior trip to PCB and can get kinda wild in early summer. You can't go wrong with either one, but it depends on your tolerance and what you want your kids around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida