Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Tampa bay area.

A little background about myself: 24 years old, 2010 college graduate majoring in Economics, solid work history (worked in a bank, and currently I manage a warehouse for a small business).

Grades in college were not that great, so I dont have a high GPA I can add to my resume. But I have good references from my past employers.

My plan is to move down to the area once I gather up $5000 in the bank. Do you think this is a solid plan? I would like to start a career, but I am willing to take whatever job is offered to me initially, even if it is $9 an hour landscaping or something.

Any advice, tips, etc? I would love to hear from anyone who moved down in a similar situation as me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
As long as you are willing to rent a room or share a cheap apartment with someone, it's viable. Keep in mind that it's going to cost you almost $500 just to register your car here.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:00 AM

263 posts, read 889,916 times
We are trying to relocate ourselves, so I can't tell you from actual experience, but on CD I have been told to save enough for 6 months without a job. Along with that I would save enough for a Uhaul, utility deposits, and car registration.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
I'm not sure that's enough. It cost us $8,000 just to relocate, not including car registration (which tacked on another $1,000). We do have kids, so obviously it's going to cost us significantly more, but if you are coming down without a job lined up, I would think more like $10,000 would be better, or more if you can do it.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
When I moved here I had about $200 in my pocket and the clothes on my back.
This is not recommended for everyone.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:34 AM

191 posts, read 633,036 times
I moved down here recently with some money saved w/o jobs lined up but didn't count on it. My first week i got a job and it's worked out for me. You could get a apt for 600 or so in some areas. The expenses of registering your car, the actual move depending what your taking can cost.. But like anything else you will put out for money in the beginning thene ase into what you will be spending regurarly...

Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,921 times
Quote:
It cost us $8,000 just to relocate, not including car registration (which tacked on another $1,000).

What? Was this because you didn't have jobs? More details are needed. Surely it didn't cost $8,000 just to pack up and move...

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
I'm not sure that's enough. It cost us $8,000 just to relocate, not including car registration (which tacked on another $1,000). We do have kids, so obviously it's going to cost us significantly more, but if you are coming down without a job lined up, I would think more like $10,000 would be better, or more if you can do it.
In your case, yes. But for a single guy willing to do manual labor for minimum wage who can split rent on a $1000 a month house with two other people, $5K can stretch for a year as long as you've got a few hundred a month coming in on top of it and live frugally. I'm getting the impression that he woldn't be renting a truck but packing his stuff in his car and sleeping on an air mattress until he got settled.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
What? Was this because you didn't have jobs? More details are needed. Surely it didn't cost $8,000 just to pack up and move...
If you paid a moving company it could cost over three times that depending on the distance. It cost us about $5K and we did it ourselves. That was just truck rental, fuel, tolls, bubble wrap (no boxes, got them for free) etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Well, yes, it did. But, I'm also counting our first and last month's rent on the house here, which definitely should be taken into consideration for anyone who is moving. Obviously it's going to be a lot more for a family than it is for a single guy. We're renting a decent sized house and had to move a house full of furniture. We did hire movers, but because of enormous errors on their part, ended up paying them less than we would have payed had we rented a U-Haul and done it all ourselves.

My dh does have a job (and so do I, but mine's portable). We never would have moved with kids otherwise. But there were a couple weeks in there with no income while we were in transition, which I added in to the $8,000.

But still, I can't imagine $5,000 would go very far. I know it's been a long time since I've been single and childless, but I still don't think that's enough. If he had a job, sure, but as we all know, there are no guarantees of landing any job at the moment.

My neighbor's son from up north moved down to Cocoa Beach a year ago with minimal money and no plan at 24. He ended up living illegally in a storage unit, unable to find work and close to a year later his mom had to come and get him because he couldn't even afford to get home.

ETA: To the OP: I definitely do not want to discourage you from moving to FL! I'm just thinking it sounds like saving more money first might be a possibility for you and if you can do that, I really think you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida