Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I am a single mom in my mid 40's with an only son that is 10. We are picking up AND leaving NJ (it has gotten beyond expensive) (((and I know FL isn't inexpensive!!)....

If you could pick any town you could live in...within all of Florida... that is a great place to raise kids....where would it be?

THANK YOU!
Tallahassee. It's no accident that I have lived here for 20+ years.

However...it is not a great place for single women above college age, so if you are looking for a new husband, you may have to import one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 AM

193 posts, read 489,845 times
I would suggest the North Port area. A nice 2 bdrm 1 bath concrete block can be had for about 120K Taxes = 1800 before homestead exemption then about 350 less. THat type of house can be rented for 800 +/- depending on condition. There are plenty of new schools and a lot of kids. As one poster wrote earlier it's not just for retirees.

There is also a tremendous amount of new commercial construction in the area with major national retailers moving in soon. a 300,000SF shopping mall is being built off of Price and Sumter Blvd. That PLUS you are 15 -20 minutes to the Gulf beaches.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
I would suggest the better areas of Orlando - especially with kids, there's so much here for them...an awesome Science Center plus all the theme parks, excellent YMCA and ball programs, alot of churches with excellent youth programs.

BUT it's so expensive here, especially in the areas you would want to live in to insure good schools and safety. You will need an excellent source of income. I wouldn't want to try to live here for less than 80-100K a year - even then you would not have alot of disposable income.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM

172 posts, read 857,083 times
if you want to raise kids and have activities for them to do. southeast florida would be the only acceptable area.

STEER CLEAR OF SOUTHWEST FLORIDA, your kid will end up smoking weed and breaking into houses out of sheer boredom

Old 06-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
if you want to raise kids and have activities for them to do. southeast florida would be the only acceptable area.

STEER CLEAR OF SOUTHWEST FLORIDA, your kid will end up smoking weed and breaking into houses out of sheer boredom
I agree, once again, with you! The sw area is where we were living and I do not like that area anymore. It was once nice, but the people there have changed a lot and there is nothing to do for anyone of any age!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM

109 posts, read 392,950 times
Cool Hurricane Strike Probability Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Isn't Punta Gorda the most common place for the hurricanes to hit?
After reading alot on this Florida board, I am surprised so many suggest Punta Gorda. After last year's hurricanes, the papers indicated that Punta Gorda was most often the heart of the West Florida side's hurricane activity. I would hate to be in the middle of hurricane alley there.
Here ya go TootsieWootsie!
I found the hurricane strike probablity chart. Based on historical hurricane landfall locations.

Odds of Getting Hit

Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Isn't Punta Gorda the most common place for the hurricanes to hit?
After reading alot on this Florida board, I am surprised so many suggest Punta Gorda. After last year's hurricanes, the papers indicated that Punta Gorda was most often the heart of the West Florida side's hurricane activity. I would hate to be in the middle of hurricane alley there.
The places in Florida that get hit the most often in Florida are the Northwest or Southeast part of the state.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
I did do that... I did some research and then picked a place to move to with our kids in Florida. We first picked the Tampa area (Land O' Lakes). Got there and didn't care for it. We didn't care for the whole Gulf side. Went around the state checking some places out (Jacksonville, Orlando area, etc.). We decided on the Daytona Beach area. First rented an apartment in Ormond Beach and stayed there while we checked out the area to buy houses. Then we bought in Port Orange. It's a good city to raise kids. Low crime, great schools, close to the beaches, etc.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,828 times
hey i think fort lauderdale is the place. the kid is gonna grow fast and you have some great beachs to go to here on weekends. great place to spend time with. if your new in the area see www.Florida-Firends.com about meeting people in florida for free to scialize with.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
This thread is nearly three years old.

The OP actually moved to Naples and then back to NJ. Look up her posts. It is an interesting read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida