Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No. Mortgages aren't bad debts that are sold to servicers for pennies. Servicers do just that-service the mortgage and get paid for that. They don't own the mortgage.

Now, how do you think banks get money to loan for mortgages? If you borrow $100,000 the bank may sell that loan to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, but not for pennies on the dollar. They sell it for face value, less a small percentage for the servicing they continue to do. The money they sell it for is used to fund the next mortgage for someone.
Mine got SOLD twice.. The letters I got from the lenders said so. I doubt that someone buys a mortgage from someone else for the same exact amount. In the last few years mortgages were sold to get rid of them. Every time you sell to get rid of something, you take a hit by selling cheaper. Conversely, the new lender gets a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
interesting stuff, 1st non dischargable student loan, now house, there is a pattern.
eh?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Mine got SOLD twice.. The letters I got from the lenders said so. I doubt that someone buys a mortgage from someone else for the same exact amount. In the last few years mortgages were sold to get rid of them. Every time you sell to get rid of something, you take a hit by selling cheaper. Conversely, the new lender gets a good deal.
Actually that's not the way it works at all. Usually when the actual note is sold, it's for a profit. Sometimes it is an at par sale due to an acquisition.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually that's not the way it works at all. Usually when the actual note is sold, it's for a profit. Sometimes it is an at par sale due to an acquisition.
Most mortgages are packaged into CMO's and then sliced up into tranches with varying degrees of risk and yielding varying interest rates. They aren't sold as a single note.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Most mortgages are packaged into CMO's and then sliced up into tranches with varying degrees of risk and yielding varying interest rates. They aren't sold as a single note.
Yes, I'm well aware of how the packaging works in the secondary market.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm well aware of how the packaging works in the secondary market.
Which just proves my point from the get-go, mortgages are just paper to the lenders. They are not "homes". Homes are just the underlying collateral. Anyone thinking of it any other way is deluding themselves. We saved a bunch of paper shufflers om account of real people with real assets that lost value.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Which just proves my point from the get-go, mortgages are just paper to the lenders. They are not "homes". Homes are just the underlying collateral. Anyone thinking of it any other way is deluding themselves. We saved a bunch of paper shufflers om account of real people with real assets that lost value.
Mortgages have never been anything other than security for a loan. That's the definition. I always laugh when people tell me the bank owns their home. Never. Banks have a lien on it, but they don't own it.

Banks have commercial paper that is an asset that can be sold. Car loans, boat loans, T-bills, securities, all commercial paper. So what? That doesn't relieve the homeowner of his obligation.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You're the deluded one if you think that all of those "paper shufflers' are high paid executives. Most are average people--your neighbors. They also lost money.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
You're the deluded one if you think that all of those "paper shufflers' are high paid executives. Most are average people--your neighbors. They also lost money.
I never said they only were high paid executives, don't put words in my mouth.

I was just trying to respond to the "it is my home, it is not an investment" bullcrap someone put forth here and the "doing the right thing" associated with it. Sure it is an investment, the whole world, including your own lender sees it as an investment. It is just paper changing hands.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
I never said they only were high paid executives, don't put words in my mouth.

I was just trying to respond to the "it is my home, it is not an investment" bullcrap someone put forth here and the "doing the right thing" associated with it. Sure it is an investment, the whole world, including your own lender sees it as an investment. It is just paper changing hands.
You are trying to rationalize your irresponsibility. There is no point in taking this further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida