Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times

Advertisements

SW FL starts right around the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area.

Slower would be not as much nightlife, an older population, more chain type stores, strip malls, etc. It's not a horrible place, places like Naples are very nice; however, it's also very seasonal. Ft. Myers and Cape Coral aren't as seasonal as Naples, though.

You also have access to only 1 airport, SW FL Int., which can be inconvenient and doesn't let you fare shop. SE FL has West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, all of which are large airports.

If you want to look at SW FL, try zip code 34102. That's the city of Naples/the Old Naples area. Anything west of Naples bay is really unincorporated Collier County.

Old Naples is a beautiful place and I would certainly live there. Very walkable, very clean, very safe. The population is mostly retirees though that come down in the winter.

I think your best bet would be to read up on different areas suggested, then take 10 days or so and make a loop around FL and look at the different areas. Most of FL is like night and day and each area is very distinct.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Damn I just typed a long reply and then accidently hit one of my bookmarks and lost it.

See if I can rewrite it all.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM

SW FL is Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota
Slower way of life are places with less high end dining, shopping, night life. Usually an older and often seasonal population. Places that come to mind are Melbourne, Ft. Myers, Naples, Stuart, and Port St. Lucie.

Most of what Coconut said is complete rubbish. I wonder how long Coconuts has lived here.

For Golf and Planned Communities again you should be looking where I told you. Planned communities barely exist anywhere else and certainly not in South Florida.

Some information on Planned Communities
Orlando: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Orlando, Florida-FLA
Palm Beach: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Palm Beach County, FLA
Broward: Broward County Florida Real Estate: New Homes For Sale In Broward County, FL
Miami: Brand New Homes And Condos Construction From Miami Florida Home Builders
Jacksonville: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Jacksonville, Florida-FLA

Now we can combine that with Golf
The 10 Best Golf Cities in America - 11 - Photos - Golf.com (Orlando is the only city in Florida in top 10 and it came in at #5)
Best places to retire 2007: Most golf courses - MONEY Magazine (Jacksonville is the only city on this list but its based not on quality but on Quantity)
I can't relocate one of the sites I found but it gave average distances to Golf courses by major cities known for good golfing and Orlando's furthest distance was 13.2mi while Tampa, Miami, and Jacksonville were all in the 30+ mile range.

As for Religion, there are no bible thumpers anywhere in Florida. It is one of the biggest myths people like to spread on these forums particularly the notion that North Florida is ultra religious while South Florida is the most liberal place on the Earth. Its laughable. Again let's go to some sources:
State of the States: Importance of Religion
Race Matters - Keeping the faith in Florida
Moderator cut: links removed, please read our terms of service
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So again my advice would be the planned communities of Orlando with lots of communities to choose from and the best golf in the nation. There are plenty of lakes and parks in the area for boating and fishing and you're an hour away from either coast.

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
SW FL is Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota
Slower way of life are places with less high end dining, shopping, night life. Usually an older and often seasonal population. Places that come to mind are Melbourne, Ft. Myers, Naples, Stuart, and Port St. Lucie.

Most of what Coconut said is complete rubbish. I wonder how long Coconuts has lived here.

For Golf and Planned Communities again you should be looking where I told you. Planned communities barely exist anywhere else and certainly not in South Florida.

Some information on Planned Communities
Orlando: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Orlando, Florida-FLA
Palm Beach: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Palm Beach County, FLA
Broward: Broward County Florida Real Estate: New Homes For Sale In Broward County, FL
Miami: Brand New Homes And Condos Construction From Miami Florida Home Builders
Jacksonville: New Homes For Sale And Home Builders In Jacksonville, Florida-FLA

Now we can combine that with Golf
The 10 Best Golf Cities in America - 11 - Photos - Golf.com (Orlando is the only city in Florida in top 10 and it came in at #5)
Best places to retire 2007: Most golf courses - MONEY Magazine (Jacksonville is the only city on this list but its based not on quality but on Quantity)
I can't relocate one of the sites I found but it gave average distances to Golf courses by major cities known for good golfing and Orlando's furthest distance was 13.2mi while Tampa, Miami, and Jacksonville were all in the 30+ mile range.

As for Religion, there are no bible thumpers anywhere in Florida. It is one of the biggest myths people like to spread on these forums particularly the notion that North Florida is ultra religious while South Florida is the most liberal place on the Earth. Its laughable. Again let's go to some sources:
State of the States: Importance of Religion
Race Matters - Keeping the faith in Florida
Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So again my advice would be the planned communities of Orlando with lots of communities to choose from and the best golf in the nation. There are plenty of lakes and parks in the area for boating and fishing and you're an hour away from either coast.

LOL!!!

My mother owned a condo in Naples and I probably know more about FL in my pinky finger then you do.

But I digress.

I'm not sure how you could say there are no planned communities in South Florida. Naples is the king of planned communities. Drive along Davis in Naples and planned communities are on both sides of the road. Want golf? You got it in Naples. Port Royal is the definition of planned community and there are tons more in Naples.

I've already mentioned planned communities in SE FL in a previous post, but if you're looking for more, try Fisher Island, Morning Side, Indian Creek, Golden Beach, there's plenty more.

If you look at the Gallup Religion Map, you'll see FL is listed as "Average." North Florida IS ultra religious whether they want to admit it or not. South Florida is not a liberal paradise but it's getting better. You won't be persecuted in SoFla like you will be in NoFla if you don't have the same views as others in your community. I could certainly see the 'average' rating since South Florida balances out the thumpers up in North Florida.

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 04:21 PM

Right, well I'm working on compiling some statistics not only for this thread but many others. In the meantime though I gave lots of sources to verify everything I've said as being factual. Do you have evidence to verify all of what you've said to be factual? Do you have evidence to verify ANY of what you've said to be factual?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
LOL!!!

My mother owned a condo in Naples and I probably know more about FL in my pinky finger then you do.

But I digress.

I'm not sure how you could say there are no planned communities in South Florida. Naples is the king of planned communities. Drive along Davis in Naples and planned communities are on both sides of the road. Want golf? You got it in Naples. Port Royal is the definition of planned community and there are tons more in Naples.

I've already mentioned planned communities in SE FL in a previous post, but if you're looking for more, try Fisher Island, Morning Side, Indian Creek, Golden Beach, there's plenty more.

If you look at the Gallup Religion Map, you'll see FL is listed as "Average." North Florida IS ultra religious whether they want to admit it or not. South Florida is not a liberal paradise but it's getting better. You won't be persecuted in SoFla like you will be in NoFla if you don't have the same views as others in your community. I could certainly see the 'average' rating since South Florida balances out the thumpers up in North Florida.
Well so far you've not shown up to offer any sources for any of your claims however I just published some findings on another thread, it is based on US Census Data and FBI Hate Crime Data. It illustrates that your chance of experiencing discrimination is actually higher in the South than the North:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...h-florida.html

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well so far you've not shown up to offer any sources for any of your claims however I just published some findings on another thread, it is based on US Census Data and FBI Hate Crime Data. It illustrates that your chance of experiencing discrimination is actually higher in the South than the North:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...h-florida.html
What would you like sources on?

I'm sorry, but your map and methodology holds no weight when it comes to acceptance. Just because a hate crime rate might be lower does not mean an area is more accepting then another.

If you look at an area like San Fransisco where there were 28 hate crimes against a persons sexual orientation as opposed to a place like Orange where there was 1, does that mean Orange is more accepting then SF? No.

If hate filled people know where a population of AA, gay, etc. people live, they will go to that area to fulfill their hate crime.

Crime and social acceptance do not go hand in hand.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 AM

You can even show me how Naples is "King of Planned Communities" but right now all you've done is claim I'm lying with no evidence to prove anything.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Naples Florida Communities and Naples Real Estate - Provided By Lee Collier Realty

You're right... no planned communities in South Florida... none at all!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Do you understand what a planned community is? When most people talk about planned communities its New Urbanism not just a gated neighborhood with a country club.

If you look up planned communities this is what you'll find:
Quote:
(The era of the modern planned city began in 1963 with the creation of Reston in western Fairfax County, Virginia, which was begun just a year before Columbia in Howard County, Maryland. In more recent years, New Urbanism has set the stage for new cities, with places like the idyllic Seaside, Florida, and Disney's new town of Celebration, Florida. In recent years, new towns such as Mountain House, California, have added a new wrinkle to the movement: to prevent conurbation with nearby cities, they have imposed strict growth boundaries, as well as automatic "circuit breakers" that place moratoriums on residential development if the number of jobs per resident in the town falls below a certain value. Centennial new town part in Tejon Ranch halfway between Los Angeles and Bakersfield, will incorporate such restrictions in order to minimize the commuter load on severely congested I-5). With energy prices steadily increasing and anti-sprawl sentiments gaining currency, it is likely that most future new towns will be along smart growth and New Urbanist lines. Coyote Springs and Destiny are largest 21st Century new cities being planned in United States, both would be bring in 250,000 residents at build out.
As for specifically Golf communities:
America's Top 100 Golf Communities- Page 2 - Articles - Travel + Leisure

There are some mentioned in Naples but none that were in the top ranking. Orlando has 1 in the top 10.

So I don't see how you go from saying "Naples is the king of planned communities." to showing a site that is a mixture of planned communities and just gated neighborhoods.

Prime Examples:
Downtown Avalon Park > Home
Uptown Altamonte - Home
New Homes Orlando - Baldwin Park Orlando Florida * Orlando Real Estate - Orlando Apartments, New Homes, Condos and Townhomes (http://www.baldwinparkfl.com/web/ - broken link)
Celebration Town Center | Celebration Florida

These places are more like the ones you posted and here in Orlando they're a dime a dozen.
Tuscawilla Home Owners Association (http://www.tuscawilla.org/index.html - broken link)
Welcome to the Town of Windermere (http://www.town.windermere.fl.us/index.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida