Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times

Advertisements

Specifically, I would like to further tenderize top sirloin steaks. I already us the prickly pounding device (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-Original-Super-Knife-Stainless/dp/B001A5B8SM) which (broken link)breaks up the connective tissues in the meat. But I still find that I would like the steak a little bit less chewy.

I have been using Adolph's unseasoned tenderizer for my dog's food for another reason (which I won't go into to here) and was wondering if I should try it on steak. It looks like it's basically sugar, salt and something derived from papaya. Before I potentially ruin a steak, I thought I would ask here. I have back off from using salt over the past 6 months, and prefer not to be overwhelmed with salty flavor, either.

I don't really like the thought of marinade, because I like my steak to taste like pure steak and not lemony or garlicy, etc. And I don't want to be overwhelmed by salt. I would just like a little softer internal texture.

Advice or thoughts that could help me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
If you find something that works don't tell anyone. They'll start charging T- Bone prices for round steak!!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Are you cook'n on a grill, smoker, fry pan, oven? Do you cut the silver skin out? Do you cut cross grain? Do you take it to rare or well?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
I grill, and I like top sirloins because they tend to be lean. I don't cut anything out (there's no "silver skin"). I cook them to the point of "hot pink" in the middle (not dark pink though). I sear on one side, then flip, sear and then turn the grill down to low. Maybe I just need to switch types of steak?

Does Adoph's really work or will it just make the meat saltier? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
What you are really driving at is breaking down the protein chains in the meat. The only way to do this without the use of salt is aging. There are various refrigerator aging techniques for amateur home cooks that might suit you. You can find them on the web. However unless you have a sealed refrigerated meat locker with circulating fans your results will be limited.

A salt only rub left on beef for a few hours at room temperature then rinsed just before cooking is the home cooks best tenderizing option after mechanical methods. (for grilled beef) You could also try a salt water brine over night as long as the meat is not very fatty.

You could also buy better cuts of beef.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 06-14-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Acid breaks down connective tissue....lemon, lime, vinegar...etc. I like to marinate tougher steaks in 1/3 balsamic, 1/3 soy, 1/3 Worcestershire

Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,211 times
Papain , a chemical in papaya and pineapple breaks down protien, so I guess that's why it's in there. In the old days Adolphps was just MSG. I'm glad they changed it.

Papain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Specifically, I would like to further tenderize top sirloin steaks. I already us the prickly pounding device (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-Original-Super-Knife-Stainless/dp/B001A5B8SM) which (http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-Original-Super-Knife-Stainless/dp/B001A5B8SM%29%20which - broken link)breaks up the connective tissues in the meat. But I still find that I would like the steak a little bit less chewy.

I have been using Adolph's unseasoned tenderizer for my dog's food for another reason (which I won't go into to here) and was wondering if I should try it on steak. It looks like it's basically sugar, salt and something derived from papaya. Before I potentially ruin a steak, I thought I would ask here. I have back off from using salt over the past 6 months, and prefer not to be overwhelmed with salty flavor, either.

I don't really like the thought of marinade, because I like my steak to taste like pure steak and not lemony or garlicy, etc. And I don't want to be overwhelmed by salt. I would just like a little softer internal texture.

Advice or thoughts that could help me? Thanks.

I will tell you how to tenderize your steak but you may not like doing this.

For real tender steak you need to age your meat. Nothing else works, no marinade, no meat tenderize, no nothing works as good as aging meat.

Take a plastic container and drill 1/2" holes in it, about four per sides and bottom. Don't drill holes in the top.

Dry your meat off well and place on the lid of the container. Next place the container over the lid using the lid as a holder and the container as a dome.

Place the container with the dried meat in it in the lower rear of your refrigerator and leave it there for three to four weeks.

After aging the meat will lose 15 to 20 percent of the moisture and the connective tissues will breakdown. Remove the steak from the container and trim off the hard outer crust and grill as you normally would.

You will be able to cut the meat with a fork if you do this right. This is what all good steak houses do to age their meat before cooking.

A lot of people don't like doing this because it is a controlled rot that causes the tenderazation of the meat but boy is it worth it when done right.

busta

Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Acid breaks down connective tissue....lemon, lime, vinegar...etc. I like to marinate tougher steaks in 1/3 balsamic, 1/3 soy, 1/3 Worcestershire

Not really, acid cooks the meat. Ever hear of ceviche?

busta

Old 06-14-2010, 12:40 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Didee, every top sirloin I buy has silver skin and ya gotta break down the different parts/grains. That is why I said that, I may be talk'n a different cut or it is just different out here.(surprise, surprise).

It my just have to be a bit "chewy". It's not tenderloin, but the taste is awsome! It is one of my favorite cuts. Tri-Tip is another great beef taste'n cut.

Slice super thin, cross grain. If it is still chewy then give up. May have to give up texture to gain the taste.

Later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink