Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 AM

140 posts, read 1,654,758 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. I'm learning to make beans. Turns out they're nutritious and cheap. Both of which appeal to me right now. The wife doesn't like them, so the portion size is just for me. But beans reheat well, so the goal is to cook enough for a day or three.

I'm talking about pinto, navy, or black beans, for the most part. Hate limas.

Thing is... I don't really know what goes into a simple bean low-budget entree. Well except for sweet, southern-style baked beans.... that one I've got down pat.

So what are some spices that work well with beans? I'm thinking some butter, probably some type of salt, maybe some diced onion, some spices, and then put all that on top of some rice or potatoes.

In other words, what are some simple things you can do with beans and stuff you might have already in your pantry?

Thanks folks!

P.S. Please avoid cold bean entrees. I think they're a bit gross. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
I make pintos simply by following the package directions and adding a small chopped onion and 3 pieces of chopped up bacon per 1 pound of beans. Maybe some salt at the end if there wasn't enough from the bacon.

I've tried getting more complicated but they don't taste as good. I LOVE the "juice" around these beans.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM

837 posts, read 1,712,332 times
Beans go well with a lot of different meats, vegetables, and spices. I like chili beans with ground beef, beans with Ham, and white beans with lamb shanks and tomatoes. When you know what sounds good to you, you can find a (many) recipes on the WEB.

If I was going to put beans on potatoes, I would probably opt for a chili bean recipe. If I wanted something cheap, I would try beans flavored with some bacon, or Ham hocks. My mother used to do a real cheap meal at the end of the month--beans cooked with an onion and then a can of mushroom soup added at the end of cooking.

A recipe might include onions, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, and chili powder with beef for chili beans or
you might add celery, carrots, onion, parsley, even a can of broth to a Ham and bean soup--but there are many versions and they are mostly good.

I love beans--Be sure to soak them and change the water before cooking. If you use more than one soak--I sometimes do 3 or 4 successive soaks before cooking, you really can cut down or eliminate problems with gas. The gas comes from bacteria in your gut which break down certain carbohydrates that the beans contain--these particular carbohydrates go into the soak water and you throw them out with successive soaks and water changes.
Soak: cover the beans with water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and let set 1 hour. Pour off water and repeat another time or 2.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Soak: cover the beans with water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and let set 1 hour. Pour off water and repeat another time or 2.
I'm of the persuasion that says changing the water is throwing flavor down the drain, especially after they've been brought to boil. That rich liquor in the pan after the beans boil is precious stuff. I'd rather deal with the farting than toss that down the drain.

There's always Beano... it works. My mom gave me some taped inside a Christmas card some years ago.

I think she was dropping a hint.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
David, when it comes to beans, simple is good. Look online for some recipes for frijoles de la olla. That means "pot beans" in Spanish. They're simple, cheap and delicious.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,965,066 times
I always add a cube of chicken bouillon to the pot right near the end. Adding that salt earlier toughens them up.

My black beans get lime and cumin. Pinto needs nothing more than some onion and chicken broth.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I make alot of beans.
Do you have a crockpot? Soak the beans overnight, throw them in the crockpot with some meat, like sausage, turkey sausage and cook for 8 hours. I also add onions sometimes but other times I like the raw onions on top of the cooked beans.
Garlic, lemon juice and chili powder are good spices to use also.
Experiment and see what appeals to you.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,217,046 times
Either cook beans all day in crock pot, or for about 40 min in a pressure cooker. Both ways turn out excellent results. Serve with some kind of cooked greens, chopped onions, pepper vinegar, etc and of course rice.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,608,535 times
try making borracho beans
Borracho Beans Recipe : Sandra Lee : Food Network

Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,020,521 times
I just made pinto beans the other day in my crock pot. I soak them for an hour and throw water in it and cook it for several hours. Then, I finely chop a jalapeno and add garlic salt and continue until tender. I keep an eye on the water level, I usually have to add more as it cooks. Imake mind so it comes out with alot of juice - like soup.

Were you thinking of refried beans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink