Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to really "try" and go for a more healthy diet that would include more vegitarian dishes.
I can still have a rib eye every couple months

More fish if we can get it down here

Lots of good vegitarian dishes in the cook books and online

Frankly, I feel better with more vegi dishes

Happy trails,

and make it a healthy New Year

HW and Suninhair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Well, I just saw something and at my age maybe this is what I should do:
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Oh, Honey, maybe we should re think this 2011 plan.
HW

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Ours is always moderation. Eat what you like/want, but in moderation.

I also always look to bring something new for the wife and kids to try. I like the kids to have an open mind to food. I want to show them all I can, then they can go on to make their own decisions.

Probably my main push will always be, homemade foods. Skip the FF joint and opt for work'n just a bit and make something at home. Hard/smart work always pays off.

Next up is homemade pasta and sausage. Hurry up Amazon!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
My wife and I have decided to really "try" and go for a more healthy diet that would include more vegitarian dishes.
I can still have a rib eye every couple months

More fish if we can get it down here

Lots of good vegitarian dishes in the cook books and online

Frankly, I feel better with more vegi dishes

Happy trails,

and make it a healthy New Year

HW and Suninhair

Sounds like a great idea! Grilled veggies are my fav snack....when smoke'n a brisket.

Good luck, HW & Suninhair!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
None, really...we eat well, and have generally good eating habits (apart from SO's Twizzler habit).

But I'm striving to be a better meal planner so that we eat home-cooked meals more often. Too often, we eat out for convenience (and because it's just the two of us, now, and we know that someday, if we have a family, that won't be as doable, so we're of the "enjoy it now" frame of mind on that). We tend to overbook our schedules and it often ends up that we're down to the wire without the time to shop for/put together a nutritious meal at home. So we end up eating out a lot on the way to our engagements. We don't really do fast food when we eat out, and do make healthy restaurant choices, but it's still not as healthful as stuff where you KNOW how it's being prepared. I feel like I'd have more of a handle on the nutrition of what I'm eating if I were making more of it at home. I like to cook.

Another thing we run into is that, to cook the way I like to cook (dishes that end up having costly, high quality ingredients for which there aren't store-brand substitutes), it's no cheaper to dine in than dine out, and I get suckered in by that. So I also want to get better at dining gourmet on a dime.

I'd also like to discover the holy grail...the way to get my SO to eat vegetables. It's like living with a picky 4-year old, I swear.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
My eating habits are already fairly healthy. That said, I enjoy good food and don't want to completely exclude the occasional less than healthy treat.

My resolution is to increase my level of exercise so I can continue to enjoy good food without having to purchase larger clothing.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I need to eat alot more healthy, more whole grains, salads, Different Vegi's.
Try to get off the need meat every meal mentality, it's getting everone else to go along thats going to be trouble here.
If not I guess I could just fill the pantry for meals for myself only, i'd hate to do that though.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
We do a good job eating healthy during the week - lots of whole grains, lean meat, veggies, fruits, very little in the way of take out. But our eating habits fall apart a bit on the weekends. I'm hoping to improve some there.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
We already eat home cooked pretty much every day but I need to really work on cooking a bit healthier. And making less cakes and brownies! I'd like to make more of an effort on making my husband lunches too so he doesn't have to take so many microwave meals.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Eat more... Well more meals in smaller amounts. Instead of 3 large meals I am thinking I will go with smaller meals though out the day.

Also do some more fishing and sea food. Refill my freezer with meats.

I have been for the last year buying more whole ingreadiants and less packaged foods and I vastly reduced fasts foods from my diet. I didn't elminate them but I did reduce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink