Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times

Advertisements

No matter how much they pile on top of it? You know, the larger the portion, the larger the profit margin. Could this be why Americans are so overweight?

I'm a little lucky in this regard; when I was a kid I wouldn't eat. So my mother would not let me leave the table until I at least put a dent in my food. In her defense I was skinny; but the funny thing is that to this day, I rarely clean my plate. One good thing that came from such parental abuse is that even now, the minute I get full I stop. Now, this is not always; if I'm into a good pepperoni pizza or on my second chili cheese dog. But mostly I get up when I'm full. The moral to this story: If you want your kids to have a healthy attitude towards food, force it down their throats from a young age..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
in a restaurant, i generally clean my plate.

at home, i always clean my plate but control the portion.

my appetite is pretty much unlimited.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I eat til I'm full, then I stop! I don't "clean my plate" on principle, only! I never told my kids they had to, and I was never told I had to.....I think making someone eat after they have no desire to is cruel!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I eat til I'm full, then I stop! I don't "clean my plate" on principle, only! I never told my kids they had to, and I was never told I had to.....I think making someone eat after they have no desire to is cruel!
Nah, she was worried about me. I didn't eat!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I usually clean my plate at home because I control the amount of food that goes on my plate. I don't put more on my plate than I'll eat.

Restaurant portions tend to be on the generous side, so I usually wind up leaving food on my plate.

I don't expect my kids to clean their plates but if they eat up all of the mashed potatoes on their plate and want more, I'll expect them to eat some of the meat/veggies/fruit on their plate before I'll give them another helping of mashed potatoes.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
No matter how much they pile on top of it? You know, the larger the portion, the larger the profit margin. Could this be why Americans are so overweight?

"...the larger the portion, the larger the profit margin."? I don't think so. I don't know where you heard that, but that is far from the truth.

I eat till I'm full or everyone else is done, I'm a slow eater. My goal is not to clean the plate.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I usually clean my plate at home because I control the amount of food that goes on my plate. I don't put more on my plate than I'll eat.

Restaurant portions tend to be on the generous side, so I usually wind up leaving food on my plate.
So true. I always bring home a doggie bag.

Even if it's just breakfast at a diner. I will eat half the omelette. One slice of toast & have the rest wrapped.

At home, I hate to waste food. So you just put on the plate what you are comfortable eating.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM

258 posts, read 450,749 times
It depends on how good the food is. If it's fantastic, I'll be close to licking it clean. I used to eat all of my food since I grew up in a household and even my relatives who always said "Women look so beautiful when they eat heartily and well!" So I ate a lot and cleared my plate.

However, now that my metabolism isn't what it used to be I try and limit my portion intake. That lead to my stomach not expanding as much as it used to and not being able to finish my food almost anywhere. (Unless I'm willing to feel like I'm going to explode, and I'll only tolerate that feeling when eating great sushi)

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
sometimes when me and my wife go out to eat, i clean off my plate and her plate. im looking forward to my daughter eating normal foods so i can clean off her plate also!

i will do my best to control what everyone orders so i get to try different things that i may be interested in.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I don't expect my kids to clean their plates but if they eat up all of the mashed potatoes on their plate and want more, I'll expect them to eat some of the meat/veggies/fruit on their plate before I'll give them another helping of mashed potatoes.
Good ! Same here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
So true. I always bring home a doggie bag.

Even if it's just breakfast at a diner. I will eat half the omelette. One slice of toast & have the rest wrapped.

At home, I hate to waste food. So you just put on the plate what you are comfortable eating.
Me too! I really do have limited eating ability. (screwed up stomach)
My Bil can pile that stuff a mile high and go back for 2nd's and 3rd's . He's not fat by any means just a bottomless pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink