Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

Steak tartar I do like!
Well its always good to say you ate Steak.
BTW, nobody else got sick, they loved it. Its supposedly the best place for Sushi in New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
what has everyone been curious about trying (but afraid to)?. I tried frogs legs at a french restaurant once.

I do like oysters (cooked) like Oysters Rockefeller, but am afraid to try the raw ones. What else has everyone else tried? sushi I have the average non-daring kind-lol.

sunny

Don't be scared...just make sure you go to a really well known place, like a seafood place on a beach that has been there for years and years. Raw oysters are really good!!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
I once tried fried calamari (squid) not knowing what it was and it was actually very nice. Also tried mealworms and they weren't as disgusting as I'd anticipated.

Oysters make me feel sick though.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I love the show BIzzare Foods , I allways tell my husband what a cool job, ya get to travel and try different things. I think I would pretty much try anything, as long as its not alive when eating it. I have eaten small grubs before, they were toasted, not bad. MY husband recantly went to Japan and I think he was a bit relived that I could not go this time(on account I would havetried to get him to eat all sorts of weird stuff)

lol- I saw the Bizarre food show in Tokyo-they were eating live frog hearts (gross)

In Honolulu I did try octupus (cooked) They have excellent sushi there- there was a luxury hotel where it was 100.00 for a small plate. The roast kalua pig in Hawaii is also good, if you ever get to a luau. Crickets and grubs- i would have to draw the line at that!!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I must confess that I love raw fish. I will buy tilapia and make a raw fis salad with cilantro,onions, and lime. Also like to buy fresh tuna and marinade in light soy and sugar. I would love to try Mongolian cusine.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
I'd like to try swan and roller. Swan was popular in the middle ages and Romans loved stuffed roller. I'm a sushi addict as well but man, a plate of fresh cold raw oysters with cocktail sauce, lemon, horseradish and a freshly pulled pint. Very close to heaven that is.

I also like escargots, alligator, frogs legs, and pretty much all shellfish. My most treasured recipe is for Oysters Rockefeller from Antoine's itself given to me to settle a large debt of honor and yes, I have verified it is indeed real.

I really have no desire to try varmints though I do like rabbit stew. The best piece of red meat I've ever had is wild boar but the restaurant where I had it no longer carries it. Though it's been over ten years, I still remember that meal very clearly. I'm very big on goose though it's hard to find. Roast goose with black currant sauce and red cabbage..mmmm.

As to reptiles other than alligator, I can't say I have any desire to try it. I've heard iguana is awful and rattlesnake not much better. Never tried insects (on purpose) and believe eating dog is immoral so that's the one thing I will never, ever try. I'd walk out of any restaurant or private home where it was served.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Thumbs up jhl- please post the recipe!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I must confess that I love raw fish. I will buy tilapia and make a raw fis salad with cilantro,onions, and lime. Also like to buy fresh tuna and marinade in light soy and sugar. I would love to try Mongolian cusine.
I need a good ceviche recipe- I miss So. Florida and NYC badly- In NY I could get venison, snails (French style)

Mongolian sounds interesting- I ate at Cafe Budapest in Boston-it was EXCELLENT. Even Afghani cuisine in NYC was very interesting (where I live now i am lucky to find decent Chinese-lol- and the Japanese places dont even have tempura!!!!)

Keep the posts coming, guys- I need to start geetiing innovative- or relocate again to a continental area!!!!!

sunny

Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Oh Helena, you're in Tennessee! I fear the only thing you can do is mail order ingredients and start cooking yourself. That's how I started cooking. I came from a pasty white rural family. My grandmother excelled at making traditional American food but my mom.... well.... not so much. For me, learning to cook was like doing my laundry (where my mother consistently managed to turn my underwear pink. Just the thing for a newly adolescent boy in the locker room ): an autodidactic class in self defense. My family thought spaghetti was, "ethnic." At the age of 9 I received my first Chinese cookbook and at 10 I made my parents buy me a wok for my birthday from Chinatown. With my 1001 Chinese Recipes, Mrs. Ma's Chinese Recipes, Joy of Cooking, Larousse Gastronomique, and Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for the Food I've gotten pretty damn good.

Don't put it off. Get the right tools, the right ingredients, and really go look at what you can find in the butcher and grocers. Make recipes with the best stuff you can find and just go for it. If it's a flop then, well, hey you've tried. By all means, TiVO or buy or download Alton Brown's Good Eats show and buy his book (see above). He's exceptionally good at teaching the science of cooking. He tells you what's worth buying and what isn't and why you cook things certain ways. It's very nuts-and-bolts but he, combined with one of the good versions of Joy and Larousse, should help you invent your own workable recipes. Alton Brown is, for me, an, "Ah Ha!," kind of experience. By far the best cooking show on TV.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 08-01-2007 at 10:24 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I have always wanted to try raw oysters in a way except I don't understand something about them. If you do not chew them but swallow them whole and they slide down your throat, how do you know what they taste like? People talk about how good they are but how do you taste much when they slip down your throat whole???

Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,609 times
If the food is free... I'd like to eat a 2 1/2 carat diamond. Although I know what I'd be doing for the next 24 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink