Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:43 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not I.
1. Sneeze guards do nothing for serving utensil germs.
2. If I'm going out I'd rather be served instead of carrying my own food across the restaurant.
3. Seeing obese grazers ruins my appetite.
4. "All you can eat" is a single plate, usually, for me.
Not fun. Not pleasant. No thank you.
WAIT- I like the Indian buffets. But no goat.
No goat? I've eaten it a few times. One time it was actually good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Golden Corral. Went to one when it first opened in the area with parents. The variety was just ok. I tried to mostly sample things with veggies so not to over load on too many fried and greasy stuff.

Then onto the desert bar. The chocolate fountain thing was just gross, wasn't going to touch that. Couldn't imagine the germs that would get sucked into that. Then saw a little kid with a obvious cold sneezing in front in it and realized the chocolate fountain was low enough to catch all her sneezes. Then she grabbed a piece of fruit from the bowl next to it with her fingers and stuck it into the fountain getting chocolate all over fingers, sucked off chocolate and stuck the strawberry back in for more chocolate. I said something to mom who was oblivious to what was going on, she shrugged her shoulders. I walked over to what looked like a over worked manager, same reaction.

Never going there again. Yuck. A giant petri dish of germs. And I'm not germaphobic

I enjoy going to buffets every few months or so. I also take small portions on a plate and sample different things along with some favorites. I don’t stack my plate with food two feet high like it’s my last meal. Lol.
Unfortunately like you mentioned many parents are completely oblivious to their children’s behavior or just don’t care when notified of it. They use these buffets as a daycare center and let their kids run wild as soon as they’ve paid the cashier and are headed to their table. Our local buffet enclosed finally the chocolate fountain a few months ago for this very reason.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
One of my favorite Cantonese dishes is salt and pepper shrimp.

If I go to the very average Chinese restaurant locally, the dish is $11.95 and they might give me some rice.

The local Chinese buffet makes very good salt and pepper shrimp. The cost is $12.50. Usually, I get the shrimp, some broccoli, and some green beans and occasionally some chicken wings. They also give me a 15% senior discount.

I just cannot see paying more for less.

======

And yes, I might hit a couple of buffets in Las Vegas next week as well, they are convenient to eat at during a basketball tournament.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
I can’t get past touching the same utensil that hundreds of other hands have touched while getting food. Completely grosses me out.

Even at weddings I kind of cringe and always use Purell discreetly when returning to the table if I can’t wash my hands. On cruises we also avoid the buffet. To me it is as bad as touching public door handles - I use a Kleenex and toss it.

I am not OCD but on the other hand I have not been on an antibiotic in the last 45 years!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:27 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Buffets rule, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAha5roQXIA&t=247s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZD7noSqnBg

Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I can’t get past touching the same utensil that hundreds of other hands have touched while getting food. Completely grosses me out.

Even at weddings I kind of cringe and always use Purell discreetly when returning to the table if I can’t wash my hands. On cruises we also avoid the buffet. To me it is as bad as touching public door handles - I use a Kleenex and toss it.

I am not OCD but on the other hand I have not been on an antibiotic in the last 45 years!
Well for those who are so worried about picking up germs think about even regular restaurants. We don't have any idea what or who has touched what. I am just not going to let this bother me. I am old and can't remember the last time I took an antibiotic except when I had knee replacement as it is required. I am careful about washing my hands, and yes, sometimes use a clean ex when opening the door in the restroom, but think of all the years we didn't do any of this. Maybe some are too concerned with germs. Just my thought. I do think there are probably more germs at a buffet restaurant. That I will say.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I like buffet food on occasion. I don't care about germs. I wash my own hands and don't worry about it otherwise. I also touch public door handles and shopping carts without concerning myself about who has left what germs on it. I'm just not interested in going through life worrying past a certain point about this, I'm gonna have to trust my immune system. Which normally does not fail me. Once in a blue moon I get sick but like...once every bunch of years I'll get a cold or flu. Not the end of the world.

Anyways. Seems Chinese buffet is a wildly variable experience. I went to one near Phoenix and it was fantastic. All jazzed about the concept, I came home to Colorado Springs and went to the only one in town...which was just not good. I'm not saying it was filthy but it did seem pretty run down compared to the one I'd gone to in AZ and the food was nowhere near as good. Oh well, live and learn. I enjoy hotel breakfast buffets, as someone else mentioned, I like the eggs (I've been told they are powdered eggs? Whatever, don't care, I like 'em!) and I even enjoy Golden Corral every now and then. In particular I am wild about their dinner rolls. Shiny with some sort of buttery glaze, a perfect golden brown, just the right tear-apart texture and served warm... Yeah, that's pretty much heaven to me. I also love the Brazilian churrasco place, Tucano's, and our local HuHot Mongolian Grill, which is a buffet but then they cook your food after you select your stuff, on the big flat top grill thing.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,170,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Gotta counter with this scene from "Vegas Vacation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDYw9cFhUeQ

Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Too much waste at buffets. I hate to see it. I can't eat that much at a time. Their prices are based on you eating your share. I can't! It's great sampling so many things but I dunno. I can see it's great for some though!
Same here. I hardly ever get my money's worth. Cannot eat a lot in one setting. Most buffets are limited and have carbs as fillers. Not for me. I do like Golden Corral, they have a great variety.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post

I enjoy going to buffets every few months or so. I also take small portions on a plate and sample different things along with some favorites. I don’t stack my plate with food two feet high like it’s my last meal. Lol.
Unfortunately like you mentioned many parents are completely oblivious to their children’s behavior or just don’t care when notified of it. They use these buffets as a daycare center and let their kids run wild as soon as they’ve paid the cashier and are headed to their table. Our local buffet enclosed finally the chocolate fountain a few months ago for this very reason.
A friend of mine will get plates and plates of food for her kids to try and mostly all of it goes to waste. Just do not understand. This is why the prices go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink