Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

At a pretty well-known Italian restaurant too...I was eating my pasta when I noticed a small, black blob...I thought it was too large to be a piece of oregano or something and too round to be vegetables...then to my horror I noticed what it was! I don't know if it's any better than a live spider.

Anyway of course I complained, and they got me another of the same. In the US I probably would've sued or something...I showed it to some other diners, but didn't get the attention I hoped for when I told the waiter 'there's a spider in my food!'

Thankfully that's been a one off. Other than that the worst I've found in my food (in a restaurant) was tiny strands of hair. Which are still pretty gross.

Let's here your horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I got some chow mein at a well-known grocery store deli and took it to my car to eat. When I opened it there was a large dead beetle right on top. I brought it back in and they asked me if I wanted another container of it (NOT!), but I got my money back. They didn't even flinch or act that it was a big deal.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I got some chow mein at a well-known grocery store deli and took it to my car to eat. When I opened it there was a large dead beetle right on top. I brought it back in and they asked me if I wanted another container of it (NOT!), but I got my money back. They didn't even flinch or act that it was a big deal.
Yeah that's probably even more of a worry lol.

In China I saw cats walking over noodles they were selling on the streetside. It was no big deal to them. I guess you get some cat in your noodles whether you order it or not!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I found live ants in a jar of PB. I was dating this guy years ago who lived on his own. I was looking for a snack so I saw a opened jar of PB when I opened it I was horrified. Needless to say I made him go through his fridge and cupboards to see what else was expired and lurking around in his food. I asked him when he ate this PB last and he could not remember. We cleaned and disinfected his entire kitchen, went grocery shopping and set ant traps. I also had hair in my food at my SIL house. her hair is longer than mine and she had made homemade mac and cheese. She's an excellent cook. I went to take a 2nd serving and saw 2 strands of hair in mine. I instantly got nausea and could not eat any more food. I know it happens and I know for a fact it was her hair but I did not say anything and just whispered to my husband what was wrong.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I was at Noodles & Company a couple weeks ago and found a small chunk of wood in my stir fry. About the size of a tooth but definitely wood, like a piece of someone's wooden spatula broke off. They swear they don't cook with wooden utensils and don't know how it got in there, but all I know is that I didn't put in there. I didn't kick a fuss, just told the manager, who gave me a pass for a free meal next time. Less than stellar response, IMO.

I can't think of any real horror stories. I did find some dead ladybug-type insects in a bag of triple-washed bagged lettuce, though.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I had a meatball sub from Subway w/ marinara sauce. First time I ever ordered it. Took a few bites, sauce was bland, meatballs sucked.
Then on the second bite, I see it.
A false fingernail. Obviously from one of the workers.....oh my gosh I was gagging.
I rinsed my mouth out, brushed my teeth & gargled w/ Listerine, lol
Then I went back to Subway & showed them, as I complained.
They offered me more food.
No way

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Found a roach antenna in rice noodles. Tried to tell me it was a ginger root. Asked them if they knew this guy who generally did all the health department inspections in the area. (knew him personally). After that I got my money back and reported it anyway. That is so gross. I know that happens in restaurants all the time but don't freakin lie to my face when I am holding the evidence in your face. Ginger root hairs look NOTHING like a roach antenna.
I was also out with a person who constantly teased me about inspecting the crap out of my food before I eat it. Guess who is also crazy inspector now? LOL

At a past job I went to go get a case of lettuce to chop up. The biggest grasshopper ever (except maybe those GIANT ones we dissected in school) springs forth from the case. And of course I scream because it flew right in my face and bounced off my freakin forehead. So then it starts going crazy in the kitchen. Men were running from this thing. LOL and the old man...well he was the one that killed it. It was funny seeing people freak out about the bug and try to get away from it while also trying not to burn themselves or stab themselves on something. LOL

Julia.....I hope the ladybug thing was red. If it was black..that could be baby roaches. They look like ladybugs in a development phase.

I hate bugs so much.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Opsi, they were a dull greyish-red but definitely with spots. I don't want to know. LALALALALALALALALA!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I had a meatball sub from Subway w/ marinara sauce. First time I ever ordered it. Took a few bites, sauce was bland, meatballs sucked.
Then on the second bite, I see it.
A false fingernail. Obviously from one of the workers.....oh my gosh I was gagging.
I rinsed my mouth out, brushed my teeth & gargled w/ Listerine, lol
Then I went back to Subway & showed them, as I complained.
They offered me more food.
No way

Blek...I hate it when the try to comp you for gross food with more gross food.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Opsi, they were a dull greyish-red but definitely with spots. I don't want to know. LALALALALALALALALA!

LOL

Spots that are definite = safe

The baby roaches have a stripe and crazy antennas.

You probably had a ladybug, ladybeetle or ladybird spider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink