Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:05 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,279,326 times

Advertisements

I'm considering it for a unisex gift.

As an added question for men and women, have you tried homemade versus store-bought? Is there a noticeable difference, in your opinion?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,935 times
If it's manly enough for Danny DeVito and George Clooney, I guess it's manly enough for your friend.

Danny DeVito's drunk interview on The View:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wakJ8oggM

Of any liqueur this is probably the easiest to make. But I'm a poor judge because most lemon or lime citrus flavor is too forward for me so I may not be able to detect nuances. But home-made limoncello would certainly be fine if not superior, I would think. Then again, I grow citrus so of course I have great quality control. If you live in an area that has them available, you can try the smaller, orange Calamansi (or sometimes called Calamundin) lemons as an addition. They look like kumquats and have a more floral fragrance than the very SHARP lemon and lime.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
If it's manly enough for Danny DeVito and George Clooney, I guess it's manly enough for your friend.

Danny DeVito's drunk interview on The View:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46wakJ8oggM

Of any liqueur this is probably the easiest to make. But I'm a poor judge because most lemon or lime citrus flavor is too forward for me so I may not be able to detect nuances. But home-made limoncello would certainly be fine if not superior, I would think. Then again, I grow citrus so of course I have great quality control. If you live in an area that has them available, you can try the smaller, orange Calamansi (or sometimes called Calamundin) lemons as an addition. They look like kumquats and have a more floral fragrance than the very SHARP lemon and lime.
LOL, yeah, I saw DeVito when that happened. I thought he handled himself quite well, actually.

Yeah, it looks pretty simple to make, it just takes a long time. Those Calamansis sound great. I'll definitely look for those, thanks. I've read that the Sorrento lemons are supposed to be better for this, too, although good luck with finding those as well.

I appreciate your (very informative) input.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
I'm not into alcohol at all, maybe a drink or two a year, but I've had limoncello from sorrento in italy and it is quite good.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm considering it for a unisex gift.

As an added question for men and women, have you tried homemade versus store-bought? Is there a noticeable difference, in your opinion?

Thanks!
I don't think I've had it. What IS it?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
I don't think you can get Sorrento lemons here. Myers are good. My guy and I love this stuff. I only had the homemade with homemade grappa base + myer lemons + secret sugar blend a little old italian man won't tell me about. GRRR.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't think I've had it. What IS it?
You make it by basically putting lemon peel into alcohol (Everclear, vodka) and sugar, and letting it sit to extract the oil from the peels and infuse the liquid with it. The longer you store it, the better; I think up to 40 days is good. So you end up a tart/sweetish, lemony liquer. You serve it chilled, especially good for summer. You can also use it in desserts, over ice cream, etc.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I don't think you can get Sorrento lemons here. Myers are good. My guy and I love this stuff. I only had the homemade with homemade grappa base + myer lemons + secret sugar blend a little old italian man won't tell me about. GRRR.
LOL. Thanks, pitt.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
You make it by basically putting lemon peel into alcohol (Everclear, vodka) and sugar, and letting it sit to extract the oil from the peels and infuse the liquid with it. The longer you store it, the better; I think up to 40 days is good. So you end up a tart/sweetish, lemony liquer. You serve it chilled, especially good for summer. You can also use it in desserts, over ice cream, etc.
Ah, I don't drink alcohol.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,739,368 times
Hooo, that stuff is potent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink