Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

god, I'm not addicted to Panera's Strawberry Poppyseed salad! I had it 3 times last week! my wallet can't afford to keep up w/ this addiction! I've been trying to see if I could make it at home, but am stuck on what brand of dressing to get. the stuff they use is a fat free, reduce sugar poppyseed dressing (which is awesome BTW). I may need to check out Whole Foods to see what they have. I doubt Panera would be of any help, at least the one I went to. I asked where I could buy the low-fat honey walnut cream cheese, to which I'm also addicted, and they couldn't help there.

anyways, I have no connection to Panera, just though I'd rave about this salad and see if anyone else has had it and could guess what type of dressing to use in my own concoction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,582,806 times
I've never had it but every time I'm in there I'm dying to try it! lol. I'm addicted to their broccoli cheese soup. I did a google search and there are websites out there that give away "restaurant secrets recipes". Maybe you could do a search!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
I haven't tried the Panera salad you speak of, but it sounds similar to my Stawberry Spinach salad (served with a homemade Poppyseed vinaigrette dressing), atleast similar enough that I think you would like it. It's a great summer salad, and I've never had any problems with leftovers when I bring this salad to a potluck type event (even kids eat this stuff up!). Plus, it's super easy to make. The most involved step is making the salad dressing, and the hardest part of that is assembling the ingredients. Let me know how you like it.

Strawberry Spinach Salad:
Baby spinach
Scallions, chopped
Strawberries, quartered
Almonds, slivered
Combine and toss all ingredients together. Serve with poppyseed vinaigrette dressing.

Poppyseed Vinaigrette Dressing:
1/2c olive oil
1/4c sugar
1/4c cider or white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1-1/2 tsp onion or scallion, chopped
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs sesame seeds
1 Tbs poppy seeds
Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just had it today! It's yummy. I had the half chicken salad sandwich with it, which I did not like (who puts mustard on chicken salad?).
My friend served a pretty good version of the salad you could try...good field greens lettuce, strawberries, mandarine oranges, sliced red onion, sugar crusted pecans*, and Newman's bottled poppy seed dressing.
*Sugar crusted pecans:
Place a thin layer of granulated sugar in a pan. Add some pecans halves, heat over medium heat until the sugar melts. Toss the pecans around in the melted sugar, then cool on a non stick surface, like wax paper.
Immediately, put water into your pan before the sugar hardens.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I haven't made this salad in ages, but I used to make strawberry spinach salad with goat cheese and Joy of Cooking's Honey Poppy-Seed Dressing.
It was also good if you added sliced brown mushrooms.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 9,121 times
Smile Love Panera's strawberry salad

I have to agree with you. I had it for the first time yesterday and I'm definitely addicted! I called Panera's and they didn't give me any information either. I love it!!!! If you haven't tried it please do you will not regret it!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Although I am NOT a fan of salad, I must admit.. That do sound very good! Maybe I might have to try it and break my anti-salad beliefs for once!

I think all my friends will be VERY surprised that I ate salad.. If this day ever occurs.

Last edited by ho hey!; 08-13-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I don't do fat-free salad dressing myself, but here's a link I just found to somebody who created her own copycat recipe, if anybody is still looking for it:

Panera Strawberry Salad w/Poppyseed Dressing [Archive] - scrapfreak

Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
This is a terrific salad. My problem is I crave it in February when it's not available here.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I've seen a poppyseed dressing at Trader Joe's ... try that, maybe?

Making your own is a good idea, too. That way there's no weird stuff in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink