Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times

Advertisements

Anyone know a something to put it place of processed meat on a sandwich?

I pack it for lunch and I do not have access to a microwave. Therefore, I need something that will be ok staying cold and is good eaten cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
pb & j....Or... Mozzarella sandwich (sounds wierd but you use the high moisture kind, not the drier version). You find the moist mozz in the deli section. You can get it presliced. Perhaps pack it separately from the bread & put it together when you eat it.

Instead of a sandwich... you can have mac & cheese with hot dogs... it's good cold...

That's my 2 cents : )

Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Get an ice pack for your Lunch sack.

Or frezze some juice boxes/packets doing double duty. Keep lunch cold and a beverage all in one.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,917 times
How about turkey breast sub? NOT the processed/sliced stuff, but the real thing. You can buy a small breast at the store and cut it up. Makes a great cold sandwich with lettuce/tomato/etc. Kind of like Thanksgiving leftovers. You could even put some Stovetop stuffing on it with a smear of cranberry. Great cold. Or, you can always do tuna salad/chicken salad/egg salad/pb& j. You could also pack a salad with chicken chunks and veggies, tuna, etc

Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
roast, fried chicken
roast turkey
tuna with lemon

Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I'm not a vegetarian, by any stretch of the imagination, but these are so good:

MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Burger (http://www.morningstarfarms.com/MorningStarFarmsChipotleBlackBeanBurger_18531.html - broken link)

Microwave one for a minute on each side (two minutes total). Stick it in your bun (that sounded wrong, but you know what I mean ). You can put BBQ sauce on it, too, if you like.

These are great hot, but I actually like them BETTER when they're cold. And they're super-filling.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM

258 posts, read 450,652 times
I don't like most deli meats so my yummy, easy, cold non-meat sandwiches include:

Any combination of the following:
roasted/grilled bell peppers
roasted/grilled zucchini
roasted/grilled eggplant
roasted/grilled squash
roasted/grilled tomatoes
roasted/grilled onion
roasted/grilled portabella mushroom
...Pretty much any roasted/grilled vegetables
boiled egg
corn, etc.
lettuce or spinach
a cheese you like (mozzerella, feta, provolone, pepperjack, blue cheese etc)
a spead

and you've got yourself a fantastic, nutritious, delicious cold sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Burger
I AGREE. I eat them with gouda cheese and a portabella mushroom and by golly they are SO GOOD! I haven't liked any other non-meat burger. But I try to make foods from scratch but it's a fantastic meat substitute!

Last edited by Cinnella; 08-01-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Burger (http://www.morningstarfarms.com/MorningStarFarmsChipotleBlackBeanBurger_18531.html - broken link)

Microwave one for a minute on each side (two minutes total). Stick it in your bun (that sounded wrong, but you know what I mean ). You can put BBQ sauce on it, too, if you like.

These are great hot, but I actually like them BETTER when they're cold. And they're super-filling.
Those MorningStar Farms black bean burgers are good. You can even make your own black bean burgers - cheap and good. I like putting them in a toasted pita topped with some spinach, ranch and little cheese. Or grill and top with BBQ sauce.

Mushroom and regular veggie burgers would also work well, either on a bun or in a pita.

Other things that would work - portabella mushroom, veggie and various cheeses. And of course, peanut butter.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Instead of a sandwich... you can have mac & cheese with hot dogs... it's good cold...

That's my 2 cents : )
Isn't that processed food? OP ask for non-processed meat...
Piece of rotisserie chicken taste good when cold, slice of home made roast beef, pork loin or actually most meats taste good when cold. Farmer cheese with lettuce and tomatoes, hard cooked eggs, some organic deli cuts...

Last edited by elnina; 08-01-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
I am so sorry I mentioned a cold dish with a processed meat ingredient. My bad

Here's a link to one of many available "how to" pages for a delicious mozzarella sandwich.
Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Sandwich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink