Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times

Advertisements

My grandpas BBQ was the BEST I ever had. Every weekend we the Grandkids & Great Grandkids and all of our parents, would go to the country to my Grandparents house.
Grandpa had this HUGE stone & brick grill in the yard. It was huge. He made his own BBQ sauce from either stag or falstaff beer. I don't know how he did it, but it was GREAT.
He would make ribs, chicken, pork steaks, hamburgers every weekend. He would always make extra so all of our parents would be able to take some home. Neighbors who lived far enough away you couldn't see their houses, would always stop by after we ate & they would give my Grandpa $$ for his BBQ. It was the best.
When you have memories of that... how can any restaurant compare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 AM

149 posts, read 271,145 times
Default What is your definition of barbecue?

I've noticed that depending in who you ask, there are several different definitions of what BBQ really is, usually regional. For example, it is only considered BBQ if: it's pork only, or if it is slathered in sauce, or has no sauce, or is cooked slow on in-direct heat, or hot and fast, or if it's burgers and dogs only, or any number of other possibilities.

So what is your definition of BBQ?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
It can be beef, or pork or even chicken, sauce or no sauce, but it has to be cooked low and slow over indirect heat. Hot and fast is grilling.

For example, Friday afternoon, hubby put 2 pork shoulders on our smoker. Smoked them all night. Then Saturday morning he put 2 racks of ribs on to smoke, and a couple of hours later he threw some sausage on. All had been coated in a dry rub and allowed to sit for a few hours before putting them on to cook. We took the pork shoulders off and pulled them. No sauce until it's served. Let the individual apply as much as they want. The ribs were basted with sauce a couple of hours before they came off the smoker, but served with additional sauce for the individual to apply if desired. Everything was wonderful but the ribs could have used a few more hours. Hubby was rushing it too much.

Burgers or steaks I cook on the gas grill is just grilled meat. Even if I put bbq sauce on the burgers, it's still grilled.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Here, if someone says they are going to have BBQ, it is pulled pork only with some vinegary/watery sauce.

In Cali, if we were going to BBQ, it meant grilling any meat with thick, red BBQ sauce on it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Meat cooked low and slow on a smoker. Sauce is a condiment.

Hot and fast is grilling

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM

149 posts, read 271,145 times
Interestingly the definition of "grilling" in England is broiling in the oven.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
To me, "BBQ" is meat made by SATX56 or Nomadicus.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Meat cooked low and slow on a smoker. Sauce is a condiment.

Hot and fast is grilling
Yep! Although I smoke using the grill on low, indirect heat and the cover closed.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I've noticed that depending in who you ask, there are several different definitions of what BBQ really is, usually regional.
Yes, exactly.

The irony is that the term barbecue, along with all its many variants, such as Bar-B-Que and BBQ, derive from the Spanish word barbacoa, which was the name for an iron grill placed over an open wood fire and used to cook meats. So a Weber charcoal grill or an open campfire grill actually delivers the closest thing to the original practice of "Barbecue."

But the evolution of that original direct grilling method to the regional varieties of cold-smoking and hot-smoking and pork vs beef, and dry-rub vs wet mop, and sauce on the meat vs sauce on the side, and vinegar sauce vs tomato sauce vs mustard sauce vs no sauce, not to mention with cole slaw on top or without... ...it should be clear to everyone by now that BBQ means many different things to many different people.

And you know what? It's ALL good!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I watched the food network channel,,,,with a special on bbq...
it does have different meanings, they did focus on two places down south with great reputations

they focused on pork shoulder butts or beef brisket- both are fatty so there in lies the flavor

now being in the north country up here, we dont have the expert bbq'ers that the south has, because most of us dont grill, slow cook/smoke year round as southern folks do..

most of us have a grill on the deck or outside, we call that grilling, tho quite a few of us have smoker, or outside "pits"
we can grill on low and slow...

I remember watching a show about indian-native american foods, and one thing they did before they had metal-pots or pans,, (up this way) was to cook seafood lobsters and clams in seaweed over a flame,(with branch runners),,essentially smoking the food,,they did this with wild game too
also,,they heated certain "cooking" rocks with fire,,,,then laid steaks right on the rocks to sear and cook, then flip it over...I thought that was clever

our family had clam or lobster bakes-growing up, we would cook the seafood, corn, potatoes and eggs all in the seaweed
,,was delicious!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink