Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times

Advertisements

We tell the waitress at the very beginning we will need extra napkins. I'm always spilling something. If we have to ask again...then that's when Hubby decides on the tip count down. The more times he asks for them to bring extra napkins, the less tip they get. he's weird about this......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
We tell the waitress at the very beginning we will need extra napkins. I'm always spilling something. If we have to ask again...then that's when Hubby decides on the tip count down. The more times he asks for them to bring extra napkins, the less tip they get. he's weird about this......
I'm laughing so hard at this. This is us exactly! I think my husband keeps one eye on me the whole time we are eating, because I'm constantly dripping or dropping something. The instant something hits my shirt, he starts laughing! I've gotten where I don't even look up at him. I just start blotting it off myself, while telling him to hush! Recently he told me he was just going to by me a bib.

I was very impressed a couple of weeks ago. We went to Red Robin for a burger. We ordered our food, and before the food came out, or we had time to ask, the waitress just walked by and set a stack of napkins down on our table and said "just in case". Extra tip for her!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I have a full beard, ergo, I go through a LOT of napkins.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ you can always try this:

Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
I worked at Shoney's years ago (a buffet place), & their policy was if someone asked for more napkins they got ONE. If they asked for more napkins for everyone ("we" as opposded to "I"), you can give 1 for each person at the table, at the MOST.

Let me tell you, as a waitress I HATED that policy...yeah, go ahead & give them a reason to be annoyed at me!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
If it's not already listed add McD's. Took Gkid for a sundae last night. Not a napkin in sight ...not even at the counter. Had to go back up front wait for single cashier to finish. He gave me the deaf ear treatment till he finished with order. Poorly run Mc's in Wally's.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This seems to be getting worse & worse. What the heck is going on with restaurants and other eateries not wanting to give you napkins????

In the area I live & work (Eastern PA and NJ) the little places like sandwich shops, pizza parlors, chinese places, coffee shops, etc. have taken to keeping the napkins behind the counter so you have to ask for them. Then when you do, they give you one or two. I hate having to beg for a few more napkins.

In other restaurants where you sit down and get waited on (not the ones where you get a cloth napkin), you might get one napkin on the table, and have to beg the server for more. If it's a chain place, like Chili's, Friday's etc, when you ask for more, they will be happy to oblige....and bring you one more. What I do is "borrow" them from other tables, even if they are wrapped around silverware.

If you are fortunate enough to eat in a place that has napkins out where you can get them yourself, like on the table or at a serving station, they are inevitably those tiny little thin napkins that aren't even as big as a tissue you'd blow your nose on. You end up pulling out like 38 individual napkins, just to have a decent napkin-wad to set in your lap while you eat.

Has there been some huge problem with customers stealing napkins from restaurants?

Is this some misdirected effort to go green?

Are paper napkins so expensive that restaurant owners have decided that THIS is where they need to cut back? I see restaurants apparently bleeding money in all sorts of other ways; I wish they'd fix those things and give us customers some damned napkins!
As long as I can remember, even going back 15-20 years, fast food places in the Metro NY/Noth Jersey area did this.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
A long time ago a friend and I were at a KFC. Only after we started eating we discovered they had NO NAPKINS at all in their place. None. No paper towels in the rest rooms. (air dryers), and we sure weren't going to use toilet paper. So I ask the counter help and was told the delivery was late. I then pointed out the window at the 7-11 across the street and said they have napkins for sale.

Blank stares.

So we bagged the food to go, washed up in the rest room and left.

And don't run out of napkins in a rib joint either.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
What the heck are you people doing that you need a buttload of napkins?

I keep thinking of Robert Hays in "Airplane" when he says he has a drinking problem and completely misses his mouth with a glass of water, hitting his forehead and spilling it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink