Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

One of the most important pieces of information in a nutrition label is the serving size. Many people look at the calorie count, and are happy to see low numbers.
Some products come with ridiculously small serving sizes, for example “11 chips” for potato chips, or “2 cookies” for Oreos. These don’t make sense, because nobody eats so little. So why are these serving sizes used?
Those serving sizes were set by FDA/USDA VERY LONG time ago, when people ate normal portions served on normal sized dishes.
The FDA/USDA surveyed consumers and set a “reference amount customarily consumed” (RACC). The RACC was the amount of food normally consumed per eating occasion by persons four years of age or older.
(Cup of drink then - 12 oz, now 32 on. Dinner plate from 8" to 12" and bigger!! )

Take a look at the images here, courtesy of the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). What do you say? Is it time to super-shrink fast-food?

http://ponchorama.com/wp-content/upl...n-and-now1.png pop-corn size then and now
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PI2GaFNzKo...0/HXPLATES.jpg plate sizes then and now

More about super-sizes - read here:

Still Supersized
http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/...on-size-vs-now
http://www.mealsmatter.org/Articles-...istortion.aspx

... and transformed bodies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ns-health.html

It's worth it to give your portion sizes some thought!

Last edited by elnina; 10-22-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
too bad they wouldn't lower the portion size AND the cost...though usually now a days...when the size goes down, the cost still goes up.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Supersize doesn't mean eat it in one sitting. I always get two breakfasts out of one when I hit the local diner.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I can't imagine that, in the time since potato chips were invented, anybody has EVER eaten a serving size of 11 chips. I realize that over time, people have gotten desensitized to smaller portion sizes, but I also think that serving sizes are kept unrealistically small.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 PM

^^^ maybe, but those servings were big enough for people at that time, no one was hungry and lots of people were slimmer and more active.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
I am not shocked. I've always paid attention to portion size and don't eat out very often at all. If I do, I take home half my meal . I normally order salad and an appetizer to share with my husband.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I sent an email to Clabber Girls about this, but they didn't reply. There is a recipe on their label for baking powder biscuits. The nutrition panel says an average serving of Powder is 1/8 teaspoon. But the recipe for biscuits calls for 2-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and makes 8 biscuits. Which means they think an average serving of baking powder biscuits is 0.4 biscuits.

Of course, the reason for that is baking powder is nearly all sodium, and they can claim that a serving has only 65 mg of sodium. A whole biscuit has 162 mg of sodium, just from the baking powder.

It's the sodium content that they are all trying to lie about, on all products, because they pack so much salt into everything. Did you know that one ounce of corn flakes or special-k contains more sodium than one ounce of potato chips? Read the label if you don't believe me.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-22-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 AM

^^^ oh, yeah!
Here you can read about manufacturer's tricks with food labels:
Misleading Food Labels | FDA Nutritional Information | Manufacturers Food Labels Tricks

Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,295,799 times
I don't eat breakfast and I don't really snack. So that takes care of 2 of the 4 posted.
Thankfully, my eyes are usually bigger than my stomach, so that takes care of the other 2.
And I don't think I've eaten at any of those places, or most chains in years.
Fortunately my body works for me when my mind doesn't and tells me when enough is enough.
Most times I need just a small portion of something to sate my appetite. I like variety and all the food catagories.
I think balance is the key. ... But that applies for most things in life, doesn't it?

Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
although it's not surprising it is disheartening. to actually see it visually tells us that we eat 2-3 servings instead of just 1 and most times we accompany those things with other foods. sandwich plus chips plus a drink. and in the case of chips and cookies we eat enough for a whole room of people.

like others have said, i wish they would start to serve food in it's actual 1 person serving size (when eating out) and lower the price. we would all be better off.

restaurants would benefit just as much. they would need to buy smaller quantities of supplies so they wouldn't be losing money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink