Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 03:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times

Advertisements

For some reason fresh herbs are expensive in my city. I don't like dried. If I freeze some, I fear they will dry out and brown quickly.

Went to my farmers market yesterday as everyone was packing up. A farmer gave me a 'bouquet' of fresh dill which I'll never be able to use up in a year. Dill goes bad quickly. What is the best way to preserve it?

I was wondering about chopping it into individual fronds, then putting it in a cake pan, cover with water and freeze. Then break up the chucks and pop into a ziploc bag. What do you think? Would the ice preserve it?

I have the same problem with all fresh herbs since you use so little for most recipes. Hate waste!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 03:49 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I'd tell you to skip freezing and dry them instead.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...ier-dehydrator

Old 12-27-2021, 04:13 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
I grow herbs (basil / parsley/ oregano) in containers and beginning mid August to mid October I begin harvesting in amounts to freeze in baggies in freezer. I cut, and place in smallest seal-able plastic bags and seal by rolling toward the seal to get most all air out and then place the little bags inside a larger plastic bag same process. They will depending on how long and how much air was still in bag get some ice crystals but all the parsley has kept well. Occasionally, I get some basil leaves that don't look good and simply toss them if they seem bad.

Works fine for me (they stay fresh until they thaw) as I use them within about year to 16 months to put into homemade soups (chopped up) and basil leaves on top of broiling fish or chicken. I prefer Oregano best when dried.

Note, if you have the right sort of living conditions (sun room type room or good southern exposure with big windows) you can grow inside to have fresh more frequently. Neither basil or parsley take up much space and they are great companion plants.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:25 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I cut, and place in smallest seal-able plastic bags and seal by rolling toward the seal to get most all air out and then place the little bags inside a larger plastic bag same process. They will depending on how long and how much air was still in bag get some ice crystals but all the parsley has kept well.

Note, you can grow inside to have fresh more frequently. Neither basil or parsley take up much space and they are great companion plants.
This is what I needed to know. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't get enough sun inside or outside to grow too many plants. The few plants I grow outside are shade or partial sun.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,537 times
It's elementary simple. My wife constantly freezes greens (dill, parsley, celery, etc.), berries (strawberries, raspberries, etc.), vegetables (eggplant cubes, zucchini cubes, bell pepper straws, etc.) in various plastic containers from used food products: mainly from ice cream or just in plastic bags

like this

Old 12-28-2021, 07:24 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Unless there's another way of freezing or drying, I've NEVER found that anything but fresh works when the dish calls for fresh herbs. Things like salsa, bruschetta, finishing a dish with parsley/cilantro/basil, caprese.

Am I missing some technique?

Old 12-28-2021, 08:25 AM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
It's elementary simple. My wife constantly freezes greens (dill, parsley, celery, etc.), berries (strawberries, raspberries, etc.), vegetables (eggplant cubes, zucchini cubes, bell pepper straws, etc.) in various plastic containers from used food products: mainly from ice cream or just in plastic bags

like this
This ^^^

I have small jars with chopped greens that I use for daily cooking - love boiled potatoes with chopped dill, or eggs with thinly sliced scallions.

What I do, after washing them, is make sure they are not wet - pat dry and leave them on a towel to air dry.
Then chop and spread on the chopping board to air dry more. Maybe for a half hour or so (not too long, or it will start to wilt - especially delicate dill and parsley/cilantro). It prevents ice crystals to develop inside that jar.
Then I transfer it to a jar or other small container like you see above. Losely, till the jar is full, then hit the board lightly with the bottom of the jar to settle it and eliminate bigger air pockets. Close the container and freeze.
When I am using them, I scrap some loose, but try not to hold the container over any steaming food to prevent hot air coming in and start building ice crystals. Do it quickly and return the container back into the freezer.

You can use silicone tray with a lid. They come in various sizes:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Silicone+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Herbst frozen like that look and taste like fresh.
I get a big bundle of parsley, cilantro, dill and scallions at a farmers market that last me for few months.
Before chopping, I remove large stems and freeze them separately, then add to the water when boiling potatoes (I eat a lot of boiled potatoes, lol)

I also freeze other vegetables and fruit like in the quoted post. Try air dry them before freezing in ziploc. It prevents ice crystals to build up.

When freezing in ziploc bags, remove as much air as possible from the packaging of frozen fruits and vegetables, and use small containers to minimize any empty space when freezing leftovers.

I usually seal the ziploc with a drinking straw at the corner, then suck out the air trapped there, remove the straw fast and seal the end of the bag.
Straw method works best if you don't have a food vacuum. Squeezing the bag with hands will crush and damage the stuff inside.
No need to use more expensive vacuum bags.

This method is described here:
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...-food-0169699/

Last edited by elnina; 12-28-2021 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink