Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times

Advertisements

Hey all, kinda of an odd question but here goes.

I eat eggs EVERY day, so I'm constantly using a frying pan. Eventually the non-stick coating wears away. We end up buying cheap $15 pans because we go through them so quick. The expensive ones don't seem to last much longer. I do admit, I like to put them in the dishwasher. I know that kills the coating. But for 15 bucks I don't really care as long as it lasts me 3+ months. Anyway, we bought one of those new ones the other day with that new "better for you" non-stick coating they are using now. What crap! After a week it's not working at all, and that's with coating the pan in butter before cooking. I don't like to use those cooking sprays. I cook on a real low heat (gas) and my eggs were all stuck to the pan this morning.

So what would you recommend for cooking scrambled eggs in? I've never used a professional stainless pan without the non-stick coating. Would that be better? If using butter or coconut oil to cook with, what kind of pan would be best?

I am a far far cry from a "chef", so interested in what the pros out there have to say.
Please help me make my breakfast!!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
So what would you recommend for cooking scrambled eggs in? I've never used a professional stainless pan without the non-stick coating. Would that be better? If using butter or coconut oil to cook with, what kind of pan would be best?

I am a far far cry from a "chef", so interested in what the pros out there have to say.
Please help me make my breakfast!!
I'm not a professional chef but since I eat every day I plan to make sure that my food tastes good. I do love scrambled eggs. Althougth I have a number of good (and expensive) pots and pans I find that that a Farberware coated skillet from Walmart does the job for my frying needs just fine.

I believe that most people have sticking problems because they use too little butter or cook the eggs at too high a temperature or simply too long. I use only butter, a half tablespoonful or so per egg with a splash of water, about a half teaspoonful per egg, and keep the temperature relatively low, about one third of the way on the knob. I keep the egg mass moving with a Rubbermaid silicone spatula. I eat them very soft.

My eggs are yummy and they never ever stick. Be sure to use enough butter.

Here are some ideas. When the eggs are in the skillet and just about ready to serve stir some cold mayonaisse into them. It stops the cooking and adds a very pleasant flavor. Use whatever amount suits your taste. I've tried sour cream as well but it just doesn't do it for me. You can also put some cream cheese in the skillet and soften it while you're melting the butter. Serving the eggs over buttered Bay's English Muffins is another nice touch. You can put bacon or lox on the muffin before you spoon on the eggs or chop up some of either beforehand and cook with the eggs. Cook the bacon beforehand. Bacon fat is another great way to cook the eggs. You can just cook the bacon as is or simmer it in boiling water for ten minutes before you fry it. The simmering removes the smoked taste and you'll have the taste of fresh bacon, much better as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 01-23-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Swiss Diamond is an expensive non stick but it lasts and it's dishwasher safe as well. That's probably the best nonstick around.

Those cheap pans will last a lot longer if you don't clean them too much and use silicone tools only. Instead of putting them in the dishwasher, just wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. And never use higher than medium heat.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM

160 posts, read 335,299 times
My husband always cooks breakfast and he uses a Martha Stewart fry pan and he loves it. I believe he bought a set at Kmart on clearance of all places.

My mom never used anything but Cast Iron skillets.
Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytibby View Post
My husband always cooks breakfast and he uses a Martha Stewart fry pan and he loves it. I believe he bought a set at Kmart on clearance of all places.

My mom never used anything but Cast Iron skillets.

Good Luck!
Cast iron is the best. But again, you can't run it through the dishwasher. You just wipe it out.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Those all clad aluminum pans look very nice.....

Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 AM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Stainless steel or iron cast.
Iron cast does not belong to dishwasher.
Make sure you use plenty of fat.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I never put my non-sticks in the dishwasher....shouldn't take much to swish them clean with a bit of warm water and a drop or two of detergent.

They won't last forever...but I do buy mid-range costing non-stick frying pans....not really that much over a year-18 mons. time period!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
it's dishwasher safe as well.

Those cheap pans will last a lot longer if you don't clean them too much and use silicone tools only. Instead of putting them in the dishwasher, just wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. And never use higher than medium heat.
Why would anyone put a cook pot of any kind in a dishwasher? The dishwater detergent will pit the surface of anything. With nonstick I just swish out any food, then use regular dish detergent. If there is some crud stuck to the pan let some hot or boiling water sit there for a while. But don't heat the water in the pan you wish to clean; the heat will make the crud stick to the bottom. Use a plastic scouring pan, never metal. In fact, never touch it with metal.

I regularly use high heat for browning; it's never caused a problem. Just use enough fat in the pan. When I clean aluminum or copper clad with stainless I only use Barkeeper's Friend Cookware Cleaner. It cleans very well very easily. I even use it on the few tinned copper items I have. But I retin them myself and am careful to get as smooth a surface as possible.

Amazon.com: Bar Keepers Friend Cookware Cleanser, 12-Ounce (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

Never be afraid to buy expensive cookware; never be afraid or ashamed to buy inexpensive. Buy what works.

I can get years out of a coated pan used regularly. If you can't get five to ten years treat them as I do.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I believe that most people have sticking problems because they use too little butter or cook the eggs at too high a temperature or simply too long. I use only butter, a half tablespoonful or so per egg with a splash of water, about a half teaspoonful per egg, and keep the temperature relatively low, about one third of the way on the knob. I keep the egg mass moving with a Rubbermaid silicone spatula. I eat them very soft.
I have not tried adding water, but otherwise do exactly this. ^^^

Have also not tried the mayonnaise idea. Have you tried Truffle Salt. That's stuff is pretty addictive and great on eggs.

Ok, so the consensus seems to be much more fat, no matter what pan?
Interesting. Will give it a go.

Anyone else try these new non-stick things?
I was surprised at how terrible it was.
It wasn't this brand, but similar.
https://www.orgreenicsale.com/?mid=1...FQReTAod_2uJMg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink