Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Well, I made it through the night without getting sick so I guess I'm safe.

As to washing chicken, I've heard that it is not recommended because the splashing water can contaminate the sink and countertops.
Glad your okay!

I've heard that about washing the chicken too, but I always run cold water over it too. There's always little bits of stuff that need to be rinsed off. However, I always disinfect the sink, counters and any other surface the chicken might have come in contact with as soon as I have the chicken cooking.

The only chicken I've ever bought that was spotlessly clean right out of the package is a brand called Smart Chicken, but it's so expensive I rarely buy it, unless its on sale. They advertise that their chicken is all natural, no antibiotic or anything and that it's air chilled and packed rather than packaged with water. According to them its safer. When you open a package of their chicken its completely dry and perfectly clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
I think a bunch of people are WAY too paranoid ...

Cook chicken without cleaning and rinsing it off?
REALLY ?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You could eat a hundred whole chickens raw, that had been sitting out for 24 hours, and I would still bet that you would not get salmonella.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I think a bunch of people are WAY too paranoid ...

Cook chicken without cleaning and rinsing it off?
REALLY ?
Yep, really. That's the standard nowadays - it became so years ago now.
It's the safest way to go.

I'm sure not one of the "paranoid" that you speak of. I'm just up to date and logical.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM

I clearly am one of the "paranoid but that's okay. After watching hubby spew like Old Faithful from one end while Mount Vesuvius came out the other end, I'll just be paranoid. I don't ever want to go there again. I wasn't paranoid until then. Oh and by the way, he didn't get the salmonella at home, but from a restaurant who specialized in roasted chicken, and didn't even eat chicken there.

Last edited by debzkidz; 02-02-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
My mother would always freak out when my sister and I baked, because we'd eat halfthe cookie dough or brownie batter raw ("Girls, raw eggs! Salmonella!") Neither of us ever got sick from it.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-02-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Well, I made it through the night without getting sick so I guess I'm safe.

As to washing chicken, I've heard that it is not recommended because the splashing water can contaminate the sink and countertops.
well in that case I have a mixutre of bleach and water in a spray bottle and I just clean the counters and sink with it , no big deal. Yes I am obsessed with germs and bacteria.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My mother would always freak out when my sister and I baked, because we'd eat halfthe cookie dough or brownie batter raw ("Girls, raw eggs! Salmonella!") Neither of us ever got from it.
I know this is stupid and totally irrational considering my previously noted paranoia but stuff like that doesn't give me more than just a passing concern. Maybe because I know (or at least its what I've been told) that salmonella doesn't live inside an egg, only on the outside shell.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
OK, so I was making Buffalo wings. I had just finished dipping the wings in the butter/hot sauce mix. I spied one of them that still had spot that the sauce didn't cover, so I spread some on with my finger and then, without thinking, I put my finger in my mouth to taste the sauce. What are the chances I just made myself sick? Think the hot sauce "killed" the bacteria? Dang, I still have a $3000 deductible to meet on my insurance plan. Yikes!
oh I don't think I would worry too much about a little taste. Even if you get something, normally our bodies will fight it off. Worrying isn't going to help anyway.

Heck I remember growing up without us even thinking of things like washing our chickens or even bleaching our cutting boards, which btw were called bread boards in those days. We did wipe them off after using them, but that was all we did. I can't imagine how we survived in those years, no dishwashers, (except the kids) most of us did not have freezers or very small ones at best, so our meat would be purchased a week at a time and kept fresh in the fridge. We probably did get some minor food poisoning and thought it was stomach flu, but we did make it to adulthood, parenthood, grandparenthood and in some cases greatgrandparenthood.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-02-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times
Default Re: Raw chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You could eat a hundred whole chickens raw, that had been sitting out for 24 hours, and I would still bet that you would not get salmonella.
I saw a special a few years ago re how chickens are processed in the US one thing that I remember is the "bath" that they are put into. I looked like a giant pool of suds, feathers, foam, and dead chickens floating around
Then boxed up in ice or bagged individually.

Now having worked in the seafood processing industry, food service etc., I can't possible think of eating one let alone 100 chicken raw

A few years ago I had some chicken from a "take out" place and unknow to me the chicken was not cooked completly and the sickness I had I will never forget. ER for 8 hours and home on meds for 5 days.

It is suggested that chicken be throughly cooked before consumption.

Food poisoning of any kind is not a fun trip.

HW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink