Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:07 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times

Advertisements

Bland, by itself generally means lacking strong taste, or unappealing because it does not have a distinctive taste or flavour.

You might use it to decribe foods that do not have tastes like sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness. For example, plain bread, or boiled potatoes, the whites of eggs by themselves are bland, right?

It can describe the strength of a taste intrinsic to the food itself. For example, dark meat is more flavourful, and white meat is bland.

Another thing I have noticed is to describe food as bland when it does not have a lot of seasonings/spices/herbs added, (eg. steamed vegetables, regular ham, white chicken breast). People used to eating spiced or hot foods seem to say dishes without those spices taste bland.

What do you consider bland? Is it just a general word to you to mean "not having a noticeable/distinctive taste by itself" or connotations of "not flavourful enough to be appealing"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Sometimes, bland is good. Some foods are intrinsically bland, and it's OK. A few that come to mind are things like oatmeal, pancakes, bread, polenta, pasta, or potato. We expect these things to have other components which add verv, but when they don't, we don't complain, because we know they are bland.

Yesterday, I went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and ordered a taco salad which was BLAND in a bad way. Picture shredded iceberg lettuce, ground beef in a white cheese sauce, and a pale sliced tomato on top. Yikes! Bland and awful.
Bottom line, bland is when there should be bold flavor, but there is not.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,618 times
For me it means it has not been seasoned or marinated with enough herbs and spices to give it the right flavor.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
For me it means it has not been seasoned or marinated with enough herbs and spices to give it the right flavor.
I agree and lack of salt as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Tasteless or not seasoned enough....either way Bland.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Another thing I have noticed is to describe food as bland when it does not have a lot of seasonings/spices/herbs added, (eg. steamed vegetables, regular ham, white chicken breast). People used to eating spiced or hot foods seem to say dishes without those spices taste bland.

This.
The idea of just boiled something or steamed something is bland to me. I'm not a fan of bland.
I guess we're just used to eating hot or spicy foods. If it doesn't have something to give it some zing I don't want to bother with it. It doesn't have to be spicy, but something with some real flavor. I can't even stand eggs if they don't have salsa on them to give them some real flavor.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
When I have no other choice than to pour ketchup all over it to consume.

This is not a good sign. I've done this many times to some of the food I've prepared through the years. LOL

Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
What do you consider bland? Is it just a general word to you to mean "not having a noticeable/distinctive taste by itself" or connotations of "not flavourful enough to be appealing"?
Both and also not spicy.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Asparagus for instance has a subtle flavor. But, I wouldn't describe it as bland.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I like bland, to me it means mild, not spicy, not the way a lot of people like their food.
I wish I liked spicy dishes, they are good for you. To me they burn my mouth, they hurt.
It's not a sensation I enjoy. I don't mind salt and a tiny bit of black pepper. My brother likes
the feeling of eating jalepenos, or other things that are so hot you sweat. Again, to me
that's just painful.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink