Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times

Advertisements

I see latinos walking around with a ice chest filled with home made tamales for sale, would you buy food off a person selling tamales on the street?

sometimes I see them with churros [donut sticks coated in sugar] selling them on the street and have been temped to buy one but feel uncomfortable buying food from a person just walking around with his home made food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I see latinos walking around with a ice chest filled with home made tamales for sale, would you buy food off a person selling tamales on the street?

sometimes I see them with churros [donut sticks coated in sugar] selling them on the street and have been temped to buy one but feel uncomfortable buying food from a person just walking around with his home made food
Do it most weekends. Some of the best tamales that I have ever had.

If I am close to home, I pick up a six pack of tamales, heat them up and top them off with my chipotle chili.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,615 times
I frequently buy from street vendors. Great tamales, no problems yet and I've been buying from them for decades.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

I would & I did
That's the good stuff they've got
You can't get that kind of food in a restaurant; I got hooked on the elote & the tamales.....

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM

295 posts, read 554,591 times
you have to be nuts to put your life at risk buying from a non licenced vendor.

there was a documentry where some of that stuff is made in filthy apartments and they showed them making something maybe cheese in a dirty bath tub in jackson heights ny queens this was.

it wa nasty stuff. even the ones with lic you have to wonder where do they relive themselves and clean their hands and all the dirt that can get on the foolpoeple sneezing on the food ew gross

Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Many times, but mostly from those that are around for a long time.

^^^ You have no idea how many people sneeze on the food in "licensed" restaurant kitchens, how many times they scratch their butt, or do not wash their hands after restroom, or nose picking... and prepare food without washing their hands...

Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I wouldn't buy from a vendor like that either but Elnina is right same things could be going on in restaurant kitchens as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
you have to be nuts to put your life at risk buying from a non licenced vendor.

there was a documentry where some of that stuff is made in filthy apartments and they showed them making something maybe cheese in a dirty bath tub in jackson heights ny queens this was.

it wa nasty stuff. even the ones with lic you have to wonder where do they relive themselves and clean their hands and all the dirt that can get on the foolpoeple sneezing on the food ew gross
I have to agree with you about that. I know lots of people think nothing of buying from street vendors, I am sure 90% are great but I just wouldn't do it.

Nita

Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
We even have people simply approach you coming out of local grocery stores for example. Selling tamales they made at home. People selling candied apples and such on the side of the road. I'm not buying! Many people make tamales in their homes here. There are many fine tamales sold at reputable businesses too. Established businesses at least have some oversight and customer observation. I did purchase some tamales from a couple gals out of the back of a van several years back. But, I knew one from teen years and trusted her. When you buy from a street or wandering vendor (of course) you have no idea if it's safe or not! But, some restaurants inspections scores leave you wondering too!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
if they dont sell all the tamales, they could be back the next day trying to sell the leftvover ones from the previous day, could be old or spoiled

I even stay away from the taco trucks, it doesnt seem very sanitary, they dont even have any sanitation or place to wash up or use a rest room and they make the food

I think it's best to stick with a regular restaurant or taqueria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink