Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

Hi, I tried 5 Hr Energy once and the taste was horrible, I only got half of it down, and then I felt a little lightheaded and then tired. I'm planning a day's drive and I'm going to buy more of it and try again. Has anyone tried mixing it with anything? that doesn't dilute its power, right? I've been told to mix it with soda - maybe sprite or ginger ale. I can't drink it like a shot glass.

I tried putting some of it in water, but that didn't seem to help the taste. The other thing is that it seemed very sweet to me, so I don't know how mixing it with soda would help - won't that make it even sweeter? I was also told if you mix it with Mountain Dew, that is equivalent to the drink Monster which I've never had.

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Hi, I tried 5 Hr Energy once and the taste was horrible, I only got half of it down, and then I felt a little lightheaded and then tired. I'm planning a day's drive and I'm going to buy more of it and try again. Has anyone tried mixing it with anything? that doesn't dilute its power, right? I've been told to mix it with soda - maybe sprite or ginger ale. I can't drink it like a shot glass.

I tried putting some of it in water, but that didn't seem to help the taste. The other thing is that it seemed very sweet to me, so I don't know how mixing it with soda would help - won't that make it even sweeter? I was also told if you mix it with Mountain Dew, that is equivalent to the drink Monster which I've never had.

Thanks!!
Please, friend....stop trying to drink that garbage.
And definitely don't drink it before driving!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
You're better off just drinking a shot of expresso. I broke out in hives after 5-hour energy. Never again.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I agree that the stuff like Red Bull is bad... but 5-hr energy is mostly vitamins and amino acids, doesn't have much caffeine at all. I did think it was the "healthy" alternative to Red Bull/Monster/etc. But I'm reading reviews of it now on another site, and they're all over the place. My concern right now is the phenylalanine. thanks...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
If you find you need a wake up jolt during the day, maybe you ought to cut back on what you are doing and sleep more.....nothing cures being tired like rest........

Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,036 times
I have taken a 5-hour energy before a long drive, and it worked wonders for me. It tastes pretty bad, but I was able to choke it down. Just follow your shot with a good chaser. I love that it has so little caffeine. Caffeine makes me sick, so I really have to limit my caffeine intake. The maximum strength (or whatever it's called) version contains the equivalent of 2 cups of caffeine, so I can't take that one. I'm surprised it made you feel lightheaded and tired. Maybe you need to have some food in your system, too. I haven't tried any other energy drinks and don't plan on it. A shot of something bad tasting is better than a whole drink of something bad tasting.

I would try it again before your drive just in case it doesn't work for you. You wouldn't want to feel bad while on your road trip. I have to admit, I was somewhat hooked on it at one point. Using it once in a while is most likely fine, but too much is surely not.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks Belle! what is "a good chaser?" I know there is a pill for hangovers called chaser, but that isn't what you mean is it?

I get plenty of sleep at night and I take naps during a road trip if necessary. I would rather have a boost though, and sleep when I arrive. I don't like sleeping in the car in a parking lot.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I've tried it once (in the middle of a 1,600 mile road trip) and it worked great! My body isn't used to caffiene or stimulants, so I just used a half a bottle of 5H.

I agree with a chaser afterwards...something as simple as water.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I've used it several times and never had a bad experience. It pretty much works as advertised from my experience. It doesnt necessarily work 5 hours but I can pretty much rely on getting a 3-4 hour energy boost from it.

Honestly, the only thing I have ever mixed it with was alcohol. I find a shot of 5 hour energy before a night out works well. I know that would probably go against the advice of most doctors but I havent had any problems.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
I am honestly scared of it, I am prone to panic attacks at it is, I worry what might happen of I tried it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink