Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When do WE get to dictate how much and what YOU eat?

Aren't you the same guy who eats at that famous health food restaurant - FIVE GUYS - in another thread.

First of all I'm a 37 year old woman. I eat at five guys maybe once every 4-6 months because I know what the consequences of it is. I make smart decisions when it comes to my eating. Do you???

If you choose to eat five guys every day or have 3 burgers from they every other day and balloon up to 400lbs, I'm not paying for you medical bills, pills, etc. You did it to yourself you pay for you consequences. Why should complete strangers be held accountable??? (this applies to women popping out 10 kids and going on welfare as well but that's another topic) Again, NO ONE is holding a gun to your head making you eat it. I have NO SYMPATHY for people who weigh 400+lbs going to FF restaurants and ordering enough food for 3 people and then saying "I couldn't help myself" or "how did I get this way?" or "why do I have diabetes or heart problems?"

GIVE ME A F-ING BREAK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This will backfire. During the past 3 years, I dropped from waist size 44 to 36 pants by cutting out daily sugared drinks (and walking the dog more often). HOWEVER... if the government had told me to do it, I'd have never lost the weight, just because I don't like being told what to do. (which is why I have so many infractions here at C-D)
That's completely awesome that you took the first step and realized what you were doing wrong for you health. I hope you keep it up!!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
These huge drinks of sugar water are such a waste- no one finishes them- how many times have you taken a half filled container and dumped it in the garbage? Anyone who would slug back half a gallon of fluid with five cups of sugar in it deserves what they get. HUGE drinks are just plain dumb...This so called over indulgence is self policing.............They should do a survey on how many people actually finish these drinks. I would say that 60% of the people toss them out....The legislators ASSUME..that people finish them--they don't for the most part...the stats are probably taken from how many large containers are produced...I just wish that government would do some real work and get accurate.
My guess, probably more like 70%. When we go to Sam's club, hubby often wants to get the hot dog/soda special. He is a soda drinker and will fill the cup. It certainly isn't a 40 oz, but it is large. Unless it is mid summer, he wants the drink to enjoy the ice while we are driving, he never comes close to finishing it.

Nita

Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I had never heard of the guy BUT Jon Stewart pretty much nails the whole issue:

Drink Different - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 05/31/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
He is a very funny, slightly to the left of middle comedian. He sometimes appears on O'Reilly. When he does they are usually debating a current issue which gets people to laughing at him and often ticks O'Reilly off, but I think they are friends.

Nita

Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I think it's time that the 70 year old Bloomberg retires as it seems he's lost his marbles.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am always amazed at the amount of soda some people drink. I know many who get their caffein from soda instead of coffee, and drink it all day.
Although a ruling like this does not affect me, since I probably drink a can of soda a month, I am dead set against this kind of gross intrusion by government.
I hate it when politicians make laws like this to make it look as if they are doing something, but then totally fail to fix anything that truly needs fixing.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am always amazed at the amount of soda some people drink. I know many who get their caffein from soda instead of coffee, and drink it all day.
Although a ruling like this does not affect me, since I probably drink a can of soda a month, I am dead set against this kind of gross intrusion by government.
I hate it when politicians make laws like this to make it look as if they are doing something, but then totally fail to fix anything that truly needs fixing.
we have a granddaughter who does not own a coffeee pot, or if she and hubby do, they don't know how to use it, but she drinks Dr Pepper all day long. Yes, she drinks the diet stuff, which is better, I guess than the sugary crap, it just I almost get sick thinking about how sweet the stuff tastes...

Nita

Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we have a granddaughter who does not own a coffeee pot, or if she and hubby do, they don't know how to use it, but she drinks Dr Pepper all day long. Yes, she drinks the diet stuff, which is better, I guess than the sugary crap, it just I almost get sick thinking about how sweet the stuff tastes...

Nita
The good news here is, you have the liberty not to drink it if you don't care for it, and she has the liberty to drink it and not coffee, if she prefers. Both of you adults making your own decisions. Isn't that what this is supposed to be all about, treating other adults like adults and not like children?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No, the doctor can tell insurance companies that their patient has gained x amount of weight in the past year due to poor decision making and therefore diabetes, etc have come around due to their bad eating habits and that they need to get their shyt together otherwise their bills won't be covered. I mean these people want to sit there and eat crap all day and then expect the rest of us to pay for their medical bills due to that BS. They need to be held accountable for THEIR actions, NOT ME!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

Besides eating red meat and eggs is not going to cause you to balloon up to 400lbs but inhaling 5 50oz sodas a day will
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You know nothing about diabetes or health, from what I am reading in your posts.
Beside that, you do not pay my medical bills. I do.
Your post, quoted above, is so mindblowingly absurd that I'm not going to endeavor any further into it.
I promise.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Don't really like the stuff- all that coldness- those harsh bubbles that burn the top of your mouth...I just don't find these drinks enjoyable...but - I like to make strong coffee at home- and I use a couple of spoons of sugar---and lots of CREAM...it's like swallowing half a pound of butter- that will keep your waist line hanging over your belt...little things like cutting down on these things-- drinking coffee black with tiny bit of sugar-- would probably knock down your weight by ten pounds in a few months-------------but it tastes soooo good...Everyone knows what is not good for them.

To legislate diet is saying that the average person is as dumb as a dog...I guess some are- maybe the political elite think that EVERYONE is utterly stupid--If that is the case- that would explain why they think they can get away with corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink