Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Yup! That's it.

It has a little measuring cup, a flat spoon/spatula, and a steamer tray that goes on top of the rice "pot" so that you can steam veggie while your rice is cooking. Just be aware: if you use the veggie steamer thing (I only used it twice), don't put the veggies in at the same time as the rice -- it's too long a time and the veggies will come out very mushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 AM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times
Maybe it's me but I love the taste of brown rice but some brands more than others. As an example I do not like Mahatma. My favorite is Uncle Bens that comes in the box. I use a rice cooker and only add salt and butter. I put water double the amount of the rice. So if cooker shows rice level up to 1 cup then water level needs to be up to two cups. I have a very cheap and very old Panasonic rice cooker than probably cost 20 bucks 10 years ago on Amazon and still works to perfection.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Maybe it's me but I love the taste of brown rice but some brands more than others. As an example I do not like Mahatma. My favorite is Uncle Bens that comes in the box. I use a rice cooker and only add salt and butter. I put water double the amount of the rice. So if cooker shows rice level up to 1 cup then water level needs to be up to two cups. I have a very cheap and very old Panasonic rice cooker than probably cost 20 bucks 10 years ago on Amazon and still works to perfection.
Yeah, brown rice always needs a 2-to-1 water to rice ratio. Actually, I always add a bit more water than that because I typically make the rice too early and, not wanting it to dry out, I give it some extra moisture so that it stays fluffy.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
cook your brown rice then, take a large fry pan and add 2 tbsp olive oil, on medium high heat. take 4 or 5 cloves of fresh garlic chopped and saute. Then add your brown rice to the skillet, add a few Tbsp of soy sauce. cook until rice gets slightly browned.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I usually make it like this:

Brown Rice Casserole

1 T. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 c. brown rice
2 ½ c. ff chicken broth
1 t. salt
¼ t. pepper

heat olive oil in large skillet. Saute onion in oil till golden. Add rice, and saute until onion begins to brown. Add chicken broth and seasonings, bring to a boil. Transfer to casserole dish, and cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until all liquid is absorbed.

This is a little sweet from the cooked onions, and it has a bit of a creamy texture from the rice

Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yup! That's it.

It has a little measuring cup, a flat spoon/spatula, and a steamer tray that goes on top of the rice "pot" so that you can steam veggie while your rice is cooking. Just be aware: if you use the veggie steamer thing (I only used it twice), don't put the veggies in at the same time as the rice -- it's too long a time and the veggies will come out very mushy.
That is the same rice cooker I use, have had it for several years and still haven't been able to get the veggie steamer to work consistantly. For me it is just guesswork on when to put the veggies in and how long to steam them. They do cook very quickly and will overcook if left in a minute too long.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
This is the one I have...it's smaller (two people), and it has the veggie steamer. I've never had any problems with the veggie steamer working well, but, yeah, you have to put the veggies in later, or they steam too long. The most common complaint in the reviews is that people seem to experience it spitting water out the vent hole, but I've had it for about seven months, use it often, and this has never happened to me. I also haven't had problems with the rice sticking like some have, but I always rinse the rice beforehand, as the directions note.

Oster 4722 6-Cup (Cooked) Rice Cooker with Steaming Tray, Red: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I put a few dashes of teriyaki sauce on it.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Can I chime in on this one?

We used to have a super-expensive Zojirushi rice cooker. It was fabulous, but then a part broke and we had to replace it. We decided to try the super-NOT-expensive Aroma brand, sold through Amazon. It's been chugging along well for the last -- oh, I don't know -- five years? It's terrific, and at a great price point. I don't know that I'd spend big bucks again for a rice cooker -- the cheap one is doing the job just as well, and I use it often.
I got mine really cheap: it is called take what you want before everything goes into storage with daddy died and my step mom went to a senior retirement aprt. That was 12 years ago, the darn thing is still working and I probably use it about once every week or 10 days.

Nita

Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Cook it with organic chicken stock not water. Not that salty crap from the can.

If you do use water make sure its filtered or bottled. It makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink