Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times

Advertisements

Gallon of milk has been $3.99 for over a year and a week ago went down to $3.69, that was VERY surprising. I now officially spend more on a gallon of Gas for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:06 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,391,414 times
The same here in Germany. Milk and milk products are much more expensive than last year (about 40%), that makes the gallon milk $3,22.
Also bread and cake, etc is extraordinary costly now.

But the best is really the gas!!! We pay nearly $7 for 1 gallon gas. Unbelievable...

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM

172 posts, read 769,520 times
Believe me, I've noticed the increase. My grocery bill was astronomical this weekend when I went to the store, especially compared to this time last year.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I didn't really notice most of the groceries that I buy haven't gone up that dramatically. Perhaps it's mostly meat and dairy products.
The package size on many products has shrunk, while the price remains the same. They are very sneaky so sometimes it is hard to tell.

My grocery bill hasn't changed that much except the price of bread and milk shooting up. Oh, and paper goods have gone up hugely! I mostly buy the sale meat and sale vegetables and stay out of the processed foods aisles of the market.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,609 times
It's funny. we were just talking about this on an email list I'm on and people actually got mad because we were talking about it! I guess they think it's better to pretend it's not happening or something.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,592 times
Dairy products seem to have increased the highest -- especially cottage cheese, cheese, and milk!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,311,920 times
Cereal has definitely gone up, but it is a bargain when they have the club card specials.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,437,878 times
Since I am working in the meat department of a local grocery chain....yes, I see it EVERY DAY, that prices INCREASE, especially in meat, and meat products.
There are a lot of reasons for this to happen right now:
*Corn, grains and other food sources are being used in higher quantities, in order to provide a fuel source for the industry, population. (Ethanol and Methanol)
Creating a "supply and demand" issue, as well as creating a shortage for feeding sources for cattle....etc.
Short, it gets more expensive to feed them.
*Fuel costs.......in order to transport foods from the plant to point "b", fuel is necessary to do so. Adding that cost and labor on top of the "cost" price retailers get the items for.
* Retailers add a percentage of "gross profit" on top of that (sometimes more then 40 %!!!)...and voila...there's the consumers final cost.

The way I see it....it's only going to get worse.
If it is really the TRUTH what they are analyzing and saying on the news watch.....oil/ gas prices will climb up possibly to $8/ gallon comes next year....we better get ready, because we have seen nothing yet.

I am planning on expanding my veggie selection in my yard........huh.......

Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM

431 posts, read 1,642,260 times
I am really starting to hate getting groceries. I spend about $50 more on groceries than I did this time last year. Good thing my kids want to help in the garden and love their veggies. I am also thinking that it is time to get that veal calf and some chickens. I already have horses so what is a few more animals atleast we can eat the cow and chickens. Good luck we are all going to need it if the cost of food keeps going up.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,437,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
Good luck we are all going to need it if the cost of food keeps going up.
Yes...I agree with you.
Even though, that I made it into my habit now, to shop with coupons, buy sale items...I still see, that my overall cost and expense for groceries (meat included) have gone up. EVERYTHING has gone up......BUT, our wages have stayed the same.
It's time for us to tighten the belts a little, IMHO...others (like me....sorry ) have to "learn" it. (In progress, by the way! )
I remember ways my mom and grandma used, and use that as a guidance tool.
The older folks really knew on how to be savvy, and get the full potential out of things...no matter what it was.
I think, IMHO, that we as the "next generation" can STILL adapt......I just worry about our kids, because they will have a tougher time then we do. (I just need to look at my 2 grown teenage boys.....*MB2 shaking her head* )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink