Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
The only thing I said was pepperoni was what made the pizza worthwhile for me, until I found I was gluten intolerant, so now I just eat the pepperoni without the pizza, i.e the dough,
1) Gluten free pizza is now available at most good pizzarias.

2) Pepperoni by itself is even weirder than pepperoni on everything. Sheesh, for the same money you could get some nice hard salami, that doesn't turn your fingers and lips red and blanket the taste with all that cheap red pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
1) Gluten free pizza is now available at most good pizzarias.

2) Pepperoni by itself is even weirder than pepperoni on everything. Sheesh, for the same money you could get some nice hard salami, that doesn't turn your fingers and lips red and blanket the taste with all that cheap red pepper.
My enjoyment of pepperoni by itself, weird though it may seem to some, is merely a personal preference, we all have those do we not? It doesn't make it weird at all. I enjoy the spicy Paprika taste,which is what the variety I eat has in it, it doesn't have any "cheap red pepper" either. Ingredients: Pork, Port Fat, Paprika (1.5%), Black Pepper, Chilli, Garlic, Onion Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Nutmeg. No red fingers or lips, I buy high quality pepperoni imported from the continent and bought at the highest quality store in the country, and you only get that problem with poor quality rubbish. Plus it contains lots of fat and I need to gain weight I'm too thin. At 488 calories a packet I find it helps me gain weight faster. "Sheesh" should be spelled "Shish" BTW as in "Shish kebab". I like those too, nice and spicy meaty goodness.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-13-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else feel kind of confused as to why pepperoni is such a popular pizza topping?

Don't get me wrong. I like it sometimes. It depends on the pizza. It's great on some pizzas. But on others it doesn't really go well with the other flavors.

Also, it tends to "cover up" and camouflage the taste of the pizza, regardless of the pizza.

I feel like I am going out on a limb by even mentioning this. What do you think?
Everyone has his/her own ideas about food, I just to hate Pepperoni but now, unless I am having a veggie pizza or a chicken, artichoke one I can't imagine not having pepperoni on one. This doesn't mean covered with it, but certainly some.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
I like peeperoni on pizza.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I have nothing to say about pepperoni.
But sheesh is most certainly pronounced sheesh, long ee. Shish, rhyming with wish, (as in shish kebab, or shish kabob as some say) - I've never heard anyone say that in my life. Which means its a new word you just invented. You should patent it.

I like anchovies and thinly sliced onions on my pizza.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
But sheesh is most certainly pronounced sheesh, long ee. Shish, rhyming with wish, (as in shish kebab, or shish kabob as some say) - I've never heard anyone say that in my life. Which means its a new word you just invented. You should patent it.

At least in the UK the term is derived from "Shish Kebab" - in fact in this country the whole phrase is sometimes used, as in, "Oh, shish (pronounced wish) kebab!". When I first heard class mates using it at school I wondered what they were on about.
"Sheesh" must just be a American derivation of it but the term "shish kebab" is used in the same way here.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times
I don't like a pizza unless it HAS pepperoni on it. But that's my taste.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else feel kind of confused as to why pepperoni is such a popular pizza topping?

Don't get me wrong. I like it sometimes. It depends on the pizza. It's great on some pizzas. But on others it doesn't really go well with the other flavors.

Also, it tends to "cover up" and camouflage the taste of the pizza, regardless of the pizza.

I feel like I am going out on a limb by even mentioning this. What do you think?
I prefer sausage or ham, or bacon!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

Hahaha I sure as hell didn't invent it. The first person I heard use the phrase "Shishkebob" as an exclamation was my school friend Sam Unsworth. But he more often just said "shish" or "sheesh". Ask him about it... he must know more about it than me. All I know is they taste very good.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
At least in the UK the term is derived from "Shish Kebab" - in fact in this country the whole phrase is sometimes used, as in, "Oh, shish (pronounced wish) kebab!". When I first heard class mates using it at school I wondered what they were on about.
"Sheesh" must just be a American derivation of it but the term "shish kebab" is used in the same way here.
How quaint of you to think that a very common American expression... sheesh!... is in any way derived from shish kebab, which is a relatively uncommon food in the US.

In fact, etymologists tell us the expression emerged in the early 1970s in the US as a slighty more polite substitution for "Jesus!"

And just to drive you nuts, in the US we pronounce shish kebab as "shish" (like wish) "kuh bob."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink