Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should restaurants "ban" persons from too many visits and too many "plates"/per
Yes, ban the over eaters? 3 14.29%
Limit persons to how many "plates" per visit? 2 9.52%
charge extra after "X" number of plates? 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote because there was no "no" option.

I think if "all you can eat" is advertised, then it should be all one can/wants to eat. Some people take very little and some eat huge quantities, but that should all be considered when the price is set. Otherwise, in my mind, that is false advertising.

Now if you're asking if limiting the plates is reasonable, I would say yes - but only if the limit is clearly advertised along with the "all you could eat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
As a long time member of the Canadian Forces, I will point out that our standard mess hall policy was and still is..............Take as much food as you like. BUT EAT ALL OF IT. The duty Sgt checks the trays, before they go into the gash bucket, and monitors the amount that is NOT eaten. Repeat offenders will get an "attitude adjustment ".

Same thing for buffet places, wasting food results in a extra charge..... Think it would work ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Not really, since an "all you can eat buffet" is a perfect place to sample dishes you may otherwise not have ordered. If you take a couple of spoonfuls of multiple dishes, you could conceivably leave over half a plate of things you didn't particularly care for, then go back for larger helpings of what you did like. "Having" to eat all of it then takes on a whole new meaning.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
If they limited the amount of plates or banned people that ate too much, then it wouldn't be called "all you can eat". I love all you can eat buffets and there are always people that eat a lot and people that don't. I like these places for the variety of food and also knowing all of my kids can find something they like. I do not eat that much, usually 2 plates are all I have and I am full. The way I think of it is that there are always going to be people like me that offset the ones that eat a lot of food. Very often when I go to these places you see elderly people and they do not eat that much.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
We went to Red Lobster one time when they had their endless shrimp special because my daughters love that special and love to try different kinds of shrimp. When several of us ordered the endless shrimp, the waiter said "I have been working all day and no one has ordered the endless shrimp until you..." and the way he said it, you could tell he wasn't happy about it. I am guessing it is because it would be extra work for him - they bring you shrimp and each time you finish it they bring you whatever kind of shrimp you want next. I just thought that was rude of him and I have never had a waiter or waitress make a comment like that before. But we just smiled and pretended he didn't just say something rude. It's not like we had him running back to the kitchen multiple times, either. After our original shrimp order we might try one or two other kinds and then we are full - but we hadn't even gotten to the point of ordering more when he made the comment; he was just taking our original order. We always tip 20%, even when the service is bad. So I hope when he got his 20% tip he felt bad!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Just saw a news thread that 2 "eaters" in England went to a restaurant that offers all-you-can-eat Mongolian Barbecue for just £12 (or about $19).
They eat about 5 "plates" each time and the owner said he had enough (GUESS THE EATERS DID TOO), AND BANNED THEM FROM FUTURE VISITS

So, what do you think: Should a restaurant "ban" persons?

Me, I know I can only eat so much and repeat visits are very rare for me.

In LV and Reno and other areas some of the "buffets" are quite expensive and the cost
does cover their "plate costs" well.

Know I am hungry for a good place to go to.

HW
My answer and it wasn't on your list: no, if it says all you can eat, it should be unlimited. I know a lot of people are pigs, all you have to do is watch how much they put on their plates and how many times they go back, but for all those, there are people like you and me, one plate, maybe 2 is all we want. I usually take a plate of salad, than return for an entree and some veggies or carbs of some sort. Hubby does about the same but will get a dessert too. Yes, Vegas buffets have increased in price, but most of the expensive ones are pretty upscale for quality as well. We just do not enjoy buffets anymore.. Now, I will add, if someone fills a dozen plates and eats it all, good for him or her. My main objection is people who waste food. If they eat it, ok, if they fill their plates and don't eat it, but go back for another, that is wasteful.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We always tip 20%, even when the service is bad. So I hope when he got his 20% tip he felt bad!
That's the thing. When you get a 20% tip for serving a theoretical 10 dollar dish, that's fine. But for a 10 dollar plate when you served an individual 40 dollars worth of food...it's not great at all.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM

513 posts, read 737,329 times
Because of one experience with a Sunday, after-church crowd, I don't go to all you can eat buffets any longer. I was actually pushed aside by a 8- or 9-year-old, whose mother or daddy wasn't paying enough attention to correct her. It was a feeding frenzy, no exaggeration. Reminded me of tanks of fish at dinnertime, and actually turned me off for that meal--guess that was a blessing in disguise.

Once years ago I heard a story about a new restaurant in town that received a phone call from someone who asked "Is it all you can eat?" The owner replied, "It's all you SHOULD eat."

Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
We have a Golden Corral breakfast Buffet on sundays..
I can eat my moneys worth in bacon alone.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
^^^^^ You rock, Calig! ^^^^^

Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I think they should weigh people at the door and charge them by the pound according before they eat.
Well, that's one of the most inane ideas I've ever heard. You can't judge a book by its cover -- ever hear that one?

Skinny teenage boys can eat their weight in food, for one thing, and a person on, say, a low-carb weight loss plan might like a buffet because s/he can choose the foods that suit the food plan without begging for substitutions for the starchy foods that seem to dominate most entree selections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't ever get my money's worth out of a buffet.
If I consider being able to sample small helpings of a variety of foods, or being able to select exactly what I want on my plate, then I'd say I get my money's worth even though I don't heap food on my plate or go back multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I can eat my moneys worth in bacon alone.
Considering the price of bacon these days, yes! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink