Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

I recently rediscovered them this summer but I have some questions

do you like yours sliced really thin or in chunks
do you peel your cucumber
how often do you buy a cucumber
why do they make me burp
how long do they generally last in the fridge
do your children like them
what is the difference in taste between regular cucks and pickling ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I am not a fan of raw cucumbers because they give me indigestion, however pickles are great and don't bother me. When I was a kid I ate cucumbers raw alot with no problems. Pickling ones are called Kurby's and are considered the best option for pickling. English cucumbers or hot house as they can sometimes be referred to as are very long and wrapped in cellophane and do not have seeds. The skin is not as thick and it's softer so you really do not need to peel them.If I do eat cucumbers I peel mine. I think it's the seeds that make you burp not sure though.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,859 times
I like them and just had them for lunch. Today I skinned them, cut them in chunks along with chunked avocado and cherry tomatoes (halved). I sprinkled a little salt and pepper, EVOO, and balsalmic vinegar on and tossed it all together. Yum.

My kids also love them. Their favorite way to eat them is cut sliced with a little sugar and vinegar on them. (no skins)

Only buy firm cukes and not too fat (the fat ones have big seeds). They keep in the fridge until they start to soften, (maybe a week).

Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,691,251 times
[quote=no kudzu;26433331]I recently rediscovered them this summer but I have some questions

do you like yours sliced really thin or in chunks - Sliced thin
do you peel your cucumber - Yes
how often do you buy a cucumber - I buy a few every week
why do they make me burp - I've been buying persian cukes and they don't make me burp.
how long do they generally last in the fridge - A few days
do your children like them - My kids are grown and out of the house now but do like them.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,395 times
Sliced 1/4" thick, skin/no skin, in a bowl of red wine vinegar with plenty of salt and a ton of blk pepper!

Or raw with s&p.

Seedless/english, are our fav

Great in salads

So sorry you have lived this long without have'n them. They are a great veg!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
I love cucumbers and have them regularly either in salads or on its own. I always peel and seed them though as both skin and seeds are supposedly not that fab for your digestive system. One of my favourite way to have cucumber is to slice it super thinly ( with a mandoline for example), sprinkle with a little sea salt add some sour cream( I use creme fraiche) and let it soak for a while. Add a little pepper and "Voila!". Simple and yummy , really nice chilled with some good bread and butter.

And Iced Cucumber soup is a delight in summer.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,838 times
do you like yours sliced really thin or in chunks - Either way
do you peel your cucumber - Sometimes. More often than not, yes.
how often do you buy a cucumber - Once/week.
why do they make me burp - Sorry, I have no idea. I don't have that issue.
how long do they generally last in the fridge - I would guess about a week, only a couple of days if they're already cut into. I usually finish them within two days of buying them, so I'm not certain.
do your children like them - N/A. My birds love them, does that count?
what is the difference in taste between regular cucks and pickling ones - I only buy "regular" ones.

I like them in chunks in salads, sliced thin to put on crackers (under something like tuna salad), medium-sliced to stuff into a pita (again, with something like tuna salad) or when making a cucumber-onion salad. Sometimes I slice them thick and snack on them like potato chips, dipping them into a thick dressing.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I love them.
The more seeds the better.
I usually like them skin off and then chopped into little disks.

Chopping 'em up for salads is good, too.

No skin, though. Don't like the skin - ruins the whole texture.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
I am not regimented when it comes to cucumbers, I like them however they are presented to me or however I decide I want them that day. Peeled, not peeled, raw, chunks, thin slices, thick slices, in a salad, alone, with onions and tomatoes in vinegar, with onions in vinegar, with seeds, without seeds, it just doesn't matter to me how they are presented as long as they are presented.

How long they last is not something I can answer because they don't last long enough without being eaten. My children liked and ate pretty much anything I put on the table for supper including all cooked and raw vegetables.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,985 times
I like them.
1/4 inch chunks
Peeled
Put sliced in bowl with olive oil, pepper and salt
Cover bowl and shake
Chill & enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink