Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Well I didn't get started Mon as I thought. I actually did some this morning but certainly not a marthon. I did make spaghetti sause for tomorrow, as well as the meatballs and I started the amish bread. Then I cleaned the fridge and made lunch. This is nothing like a really full kitchen day, but it is a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Before summer, one year, I decided to do all my cooking, for 6 weeks to 2 months, in May. Tripled/quadrupled recipes (stew/casserole type dishes) and I was at it for 2 days. It actually lasted me until the 1st of August. No cooking for 2 months! But I have a huge stand-up freezer, in addition to the freezer with my refrigerator, and I'm single! So during that time frame I had a half-dozen choices to choose from, from plastic containers.

Nowadays, I have my big super cook-out on Tuesday evenings and, no cooking until the next Tuesday.
I even make my breakfasts, ahead of time, for the 4 days I work. Just reheat it!

Cooking, day by day, meal by meal, haven't done that in years!

And, I always keep a reservoir of frozen food in the freezer, in case I decide to skip a week of cooking!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-31-2012 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Edit/add line

Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Every year, one weekend before Christmas I go on a cookie baking marathon. It's a tradition my girls have always loved, (especially being "quality control"), I'd buy bags of flour and sugar, dozens of eggs, baking chips, etc. beforehand and get up in the wee hours Saturday morning to make the dough. I have two stand mixers and use both at the same time. Then I bake and bake all day, putting the cookies on the dining room table and kitchen counters to cool. I do this all day Saturday, then start again in the wee hours of Sunday morning. I put Christmas music on, or old Christmas movies on the kitchen TV. I buy tons of little candies to decorate the gingerbread men, including gummy eyeballs (my youngest still loves to make gingerbread "cyclops" men). We drink coffee and hot chocolate in the morning, but switch to a cocktail or spiked eggnog or two in the evening while we're winding it down. By Sunday evening, my holiday cookies are all done. Then while the oven is still going, I'll stick a frozen pizza in for dinner. As if anybody has room for dinner!

We changed venue last year, when I went to my oldest daughter's house. I stay there for a long weekend and bake round the clock for two days, same as at home. She has a huger kitchen, with a connecting great room, where there's a fireplace. We play Christmas music and have a fire in the fireplace. Son-in-law is now "quality control".

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 11-01-2012 at 01:26 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Yeah, I do it every holiday too but the main goal then is to get that special meal on the table. But this thread was driven by the need to not waste a fortune of money spent on groceries only to be told DH was going to be out of town. I'm glad I did it and have been reaping the rewards ever since. So glad I have a vacuum Food Saver and an abundance of plastic ware. Now I'm thinking I will start early for my holiday meals by doing a little bit every weekend starting tomorrow. My girls love to help in the kitchen and I enjoy passing on this tradition.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yeah, I do it every holiday too but the main goal then is to get that special meal on the table. But this thread was driven by the need to not waste a fortune of money spent on groceries only to be told DH was going to be out of town. I'm glad I did it and have been reaping the rewards ever since. So glad I have a vacuum Food Saver and an abundance of plastic ware. Now I'm thinking I will start early for my holiday meals by doing a little bit every weekend starting tomorrow. My girls love to help in the kitchen and I enjoy passing on this tradition.
I so need to pick up one of those vacuum food savers!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
My mother is 86 and not really into cooking anymore (and we don't trust her with the stove).

So, my sister and I take turns to go visit and, when we are there, usually spend a whole day cooking and then bagging up 'ready meals' to go into the freezer. Then all my mother has to do is throw them into the microwave.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My mother is 86 and not really into cooking anymore (and we don't trust her with the stove).

So, my sister and I take turns to go visit and, when we are there, usually spend a whole day cooking and then bagging up 'ready meals' to go into the freezer. Then all my mother has to do is throw them into the microwave.
what nice children you are...I bet she really appreciates you or let's hope she does.

nita

Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
For the past few Sundays, while I've been folding laundry, I've noticed this show is on:

Rachael Ray's Week in a Day : Rachael Ray : Cooking Channel

I guess a lot of people are interested in getting their entire week's cooking done in one day. I have to say that, when I do it, I'm thrilled for the rest of the week. It's just hard to get motivated and in the mood to endure the actual day of cooking.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
When my dad passed away twenty plus years ago we had the funeral the morning of December 22. I came home and straight into my kitchen started cooking. I cooked all afternoon and night. I had cookies, candy and pies running out the ying yang. I loaded up Christmas plates with cookies & candy, covered the pies, added a bow and sprig of holly and sent the children out delivering to all our neighbors.

That was my only marathon and it really help me with my grief.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
For the past few Sundays, while I've been folding laundry, I've noticed this show is on:

Rachael Ray's Week in a Day : Rachael Ray : Cooking Channel

I guess a lot of people are interested in getting their entire week's cooking done in one day. I have to say that, when I do it, I'm thrilled for the rest of the week. It's just hard to get motivated and in the mood to endure the actual day of cooking.
with a bit of planning and shopping it can be done. I hate to clean up so I like one big messy kitchen for one full day rather than 7 days of messy kitchen. over the years DH and I agreed I do all the cooking and he does MOST of the cleaning. However he is bad about letting especially bad pots "soak" for a day or two!
sticking my hand in cold slimy dish water is gross so I will wait him out!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink