Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Red Lobster and Outback are gross. I won't go anywhere near them.

The food at Red Lobster isn't particually great, but those biscuits are amazing. I'll go there just for the biscuits sometimes.
Only thing I ever eat at Outback are those Alice Springs quessadillas's (quessadilla's with bacon, mustard, mushrooms and onions I think) and occassionaly those onion straws. Can't comment on the rest of the menu.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
That's cuz they ARE frozen dinners.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times
Everyone's tastes are different. They like what they like, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of us hate OG and some of us love it. Take my dad for example. We can almost guarantee that if we like it, he will not, and if he likes it, we hate it.

The world would be a very boring place, if we all just liked the same things.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
There are many many places in the U.S. that due to lack of population or a lack of long term historic European migration tend to have less mom and pop independent eateries ranging from diners to ethnic cuisine and more chain eateries.
LOL, you need to get out more. Most of us came from somewhere else; a huge chunk of us came from Europe. Or Asia or Africa (certainly wouldn't want to pass over the good cuisine from those continents).

Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM

39 posts, read 59,604 times
I don't go out to dinner very often, occasionally on a weekend. And I prefer little ethnic places, not chains. I love to cook, it relaxes me. What I don't understand is how much a restaurant will charge for something like pasta with marinara sauce, it comes served with a chunk of bread and might be like $12.95. I pay a dollar for a lb. box of pasta, and it costs maybe two or three dollars for a huge pot of sauce. I guess I am just frugal.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM

782 posts, read 1,106,321 times
You're not making any huge pot of sauce for $2-3 like you say unless you are opening a storebought jar in which case you aren't getting the quality that you get at a good restaraunt (though it might be better than that Olive Garden crap ). To make what they are you need a good bottle of EVOO ($8-15 there. Now that cost doesn't all figure in to one meal because that bottle will last awhile, but the point is it isn't cheap), you need fresh parmesean to grate over the top (depending on where you are $7-12 unless you want to use the fake Kraft junk. Now again, like the EVOO you get multiple uses out of this, but still it is a cost). Now ingredients if you are just wanting a basic red sauce are going to run you $5-10 depending on what you are cooking. Fresh basil for it? Another $2 probably. You want meatballs or a bolognesse sauce? Shell out for more ingredients.

Now take the time to put them together, and have to clean up the mess afterwards. Do you not cook alot of Italian? Your block of parmesean might mold over before you use it up ...

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM

39 posts, read 59,604 times
No meat, I am a vegetarian. Large can of tomatoes, maybe $1.25, tomato paste 2 for $1, the farm market by me sell bunches of basil for $1. Ok maybe a little over what I estimated including the olive oil and I add some onion and garlic, but still cheap. I don't really like parmesan. But it is just two of us and this sauce lasts for multiple meals.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
I am also surprised by some of the big chains being so busy , especially when there are some great mom and pop places that have better food sometimes at CHEAPER prices.

I guess chain places can be good for groups though as they might be more accommodating for a larger group and there are less surprises so to speak.

Personally I think it's more interesting discovering new places. I guess I find it interesting people sometimes don't seek out the nonchain places that might be in their neighborhood.

Of course there is a markup on the food, but cooking a decent meal isn't cheap either as texantodd mentioned.

The average dish probably requires like 10 ingredients or so?

How many of those ingredients with expire before you can use them again?

Also people don't just go out for the food, they go out to get out of the house as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I don't find it strange that people who may have been shopping after work are eating at a restaurant during Christmas season ;or that some amy be meeting friends or co-workers for a ntogether since they wil be gone at Christmas. Happens every year. But I do find it strange that anyone thinks about going into therestaurant to chew people out because they do not do the same.Perhpas if those peopel got pout more they might just ubnderstand more even if they chose not to do the same.

Last edited by texdav; 12-12-2012 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
You know we should actually THANK these restaurants for what they do! Sure makes us home cooks look better! Like the first time ya make homemade pasta, even with just plain flour. Better double the 1 egg/1C flour per person to two! hahaha.

But Pizza Hut does make the best most authentic pizza. hahaha just try'n to fire ya up textodd!
You really bash the OG red sauce. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had it. I'm more alfredo, or their version anyway. It is not just parm and butter, thats for sure. But its good enough. hahaha

Funny how OG and RL are owned by same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink