Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times

Advertisements

I took out a small mortgage and purchased four two+ pound, grass-fed porterhouse steaks for New Years Day dinner. Having never before eaten such things, I fear that I will not do them justice if I cook them as I purchased them - frozen.

Is there a "best way" to grill frozen steak so I don't screw it up and want to slit my wrists?

Plus, it's my birthday. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I took out a small mortgage and purchased four two+ pound, grass-fed porterhouse steaks for New Years Day dinner. Having never before eaten such things, I fear that I will not do them justice if I cook them as I purchased them - frozen.

Is there a "best way" to grill frozen steak so I don't screw it up and want to slit my wrists?

first of all, porterhouse steaks are one of the best steaks to grill, a porterhouse, has tenderloin on one side of the bone and a strip steak on the other, its a sister steak to the t-bone, but has a larger tenderloin

if it were me, i'd thaw the steak out in the fridge, before id grill it let the steak come to room temp,
under no circumstances do you throw a thick frozen steak on a grill

season to taste- some folks like seasoning before you grill, id rather do it after, just a little salt/garlic- nothing too strong to detract from the flavor of the meat.

now grass-fed beef is usually leaner than non grass-fed because it hasnt been "finished" on grain, so if they are a bit leaner, we dont want to cook them too fast

being two lb steaks, they are thick, again we don't want to cook them too fast on high heat

i'd warm the grill up no more than medium, some folks like to high heat a grill to sear the outside, then turn down, if you arent use to this, avoid it, these steaks are lean, and thick, so try to cook evenly.

cook the steaks on no more than medium, try to flip only once, use tongs to flip,,,not a fork (to pierce a steak with a fork,(to flip) will lose juices/flavor) it's tough to say how long to cook before flipping because, we dont know your grill-i'd lightly brush oil on the grilling grate before grilling, to ensure the meat doesnt stick

usually a two lb porterhouse is around an inch and a half thick,,,,being grass fed, the critter can be smaller, so it may be closer to 2 " thick

Again, I dont know your grill, but id cook around 8-12 minutes per side, if using a cooking thermometer, to about 133-135 degrees for medium rare- let set (uncovered) for 5 minutes before serving

im sure you paid handsomely for these steaks, when cooking them, beware the advice of idiots and people that dont or havent eaten meat in decades- most guys turns into grillmasters after a few beers.... (I've been a butcher for decades, and have witnessed this first-hand)
if you are really nervous about this, have a drink yourself, watch a few grilling videos on you tube

happy birthday and good luck!!!!

one bit of last advice, be confident, you will do fine, now tell your guests this is grass fed before you serve- tell them no anti-biotics, growth hormones, humanely raised, etc
tell them where you bought it, that they said these are the best tasting steaks you can buy
talk em up- before your guests eat them.
now dont tell them this, but sometimes grass fed beef has a slightly different flavor profile -so telling your guests all the good stuff before serving, is a positive thing-

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-21-2012 at 02:14 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post

I hope you can pay the mortgage off soon. Let me get this straight, the steaks are 2 lb each, right? If so, you will want to defronst them, probably in the fridge. After they defrost let them reach room temp, usually that takes about an hour to 2 hours sitting on the counter or in the sink. depending on the thickness and how you like them you will want to grill them about 5 min per side...Of course searing them is the best way, I think, but you might also want to go on line to foodnetwork and get some ideas. Because we like ours pretty rare and usually get our steak about an inch and a quarter think, we cook them closer to 4 min per side. I do coat them with salt, pepper, garlic and a little oil. good luck, happy birthday and think of the rest of us when you eat one of the best steaks ever.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
I can't think of any cut of meat you grill frozen. You need to defrost the steak in your refridgerator not the counter top which can cause bacteria to grow. Once defrosted I take them out of the fridge about 15 minutes to take the chill off of them before grilling.
5 minutes is rare
7 minutes is medium
9 is well done
that is minutes per side
Once you turn over the steak you can add seasoning to the cooked side - I use a grinding mill that is filled with black peppercorns and dried chunks of garlic - i grind them over cooked side -
I really wouldn't recommend leaving meat on your counter top for 1-2 hours as that can allow bacteria to grow.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
Those are some big ol' steaks!
Thaw in fridge, allow 4-5 days I'd guess. Then the night before put on a little bit of either worchest sauce or olive oil and then put plenty of kosher salt and pepper on both sides. Wrap in plastic and back in fridge for next day.

Use direct for a few min each side then off to indirect to finish cook'n.

That is how I'd do it anyway.

Good luck and happy birthday!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Bistecca Alla Fiorentina is the only way to cook a Porterhouse and due it the justice it deserves.

Full thaw in fridge. As The Capt said above the night before coat it lightly with organic EVOO and a "GOOD" balsamic vinegar. A Table spoon or two of each and tossed into a ziplock. Massage into the meat, press out all air and let sit overnight in fridge.

Next day remove from fridge and let sit on counter in the ziplocks for two hours before cooking.

Ok you need to read up on charcoal/wood cooking as that is the only way to cook a Porterhouse the King of Steaks.

Right before tossing on grill srpinkle on sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and push onto meat

Super hot fire let all coals go to glowing red hot and ashy. Make sure grill is super clean and rub it twice with cooking oil and get super hot over coals. Make sure you have a spot on the grill that dosent have coals under them that will fit both steaks. Important for later. You can also toss fresh old thick rosemary sprigs on to coals right before dropping the steaks to give a great aroma.

I have a stash of old grape vines I use ONLY to cook Porterhouses once or twice a year. Its a more involved process to get the coals just right but that is for another post.

Drop steaks onto superheated grill right over coals and cook until they release (grill marks) about 3-4mins.quarter turn and 2min more or until release easily. Flip same on procedure on other side.

NOW the important part move to a part of the grill that is not under direct coals. Put down heavy aluminum foil and move steaks there. Cover and let cook on indirect heat for 5-10min. Use digital thermo and pull at 120 degrees in middle of steak. I pull my steak at 115 but I like it a little more pink and bloody. Never eat the meat HOT the closer to body temp the steak is the more flavor you'll experience.

Let rest for 15-30 minutes under tented foil. Drizzle a little more balsamic and EVOO very lightly and Enjoy with a good bottle of Chianti like a Tuscan King.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 12-21-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Bulldogdad, when are you coming over? I will buy the steaks. And make a fresh salad, with blue cheese.

Don't forget the wine. I suggest a good Malbec. And have a Happy Birthday.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Molto bene jasper, molto bene.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Grazie, mille grazie !!
Thanks to everyone who has responded - I now know i will need, at minimum, to:
1. Thaw in fridge
2. Bring to room temp
3. Oil my grill grates and fire her up.
4. Do NOT cook on super high due to grass-fed-ness.
5. Season to taste with salt/pepper, then place on the grill. Garlic is optional.
6. Cook slowly 6-8 minutes or so per side as we like it rare.
(Grape leaves & marinating, etc. is too advanced for me, but thanks Bulldogdad - I am not the pro that you are...YET !)
7. Have a glass of nice red wine at the ready for nerve-calming ..seriously, I will need this.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL !!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Good advice above - allow to defrost fully, bring to room temp. before putting on the heat, remember to season at least with salt. And ALWAYS rest your meat after cooking it - otherwise the moisture will escape with the first cut. Some like to add a knob of unsalted butter to melt on top after taking it off the grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink