Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times

Advertisements

I was putting some leftovers away and opened the upper cupboard that contains glass containers we use for leftovers. As soon as I opened the door a container fell out onto the granite counter top and shattered into a bazillion pieces with the larger pieces falling to the hard tile floor and shattering. Naturally, I was not wearing shoes as I very rarely do in the house. Looking down at my feet I saw huge chunks and small chunks and slivers of glass surrounding my feet.

Luckily, I had hubby and son nearby and yelled for someone to come and bring me some shoes. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had been alone. It took Son and me 30 minutes to clean it up. There was glass inside the silverware drawer, and all the way into the breakfast nook.

How would you deal with situation if alone in the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
If folks have to pass through the kitchen at night going to the bathroom, just be prepared for screams in the night! That sort of glass breakage seems to go everywhere. Lucky thing though the container didn't fall on a glass stove top.

I find a vacuum works best to get up most of the tiny pieces of glass but at least one stray piece always seems to end up in my foot some days after the accident.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Yeah. We used the dust buster on the counter and stove and the stick vac on the floor. I think I still have little bits of glass stuck in the sole of my slippers.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
My kitchen is fairly large, but regardless of where I was standing I'd have access to either potholders, dishtowels, paper bags, or, worse comes to worse, fabric shelf liners, any of which I could use to put under my feet to shuffle off to escape. Happy to hear you didn't cut yourself.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I cut a raw potato in half and use it to pick up small shards of glass. It works really well when you press it to the floor.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM

I guess I would have thought of something, but fortunately I was able to yell "Connor!!! Mommy needs help!"

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'd probably take off my shirt and use it to sweep my way to safety. LOL I do worry about being alone when something dreadful happens. I fell off a step and broke my ankle several years back. I was laying on the garage floor and couldn't move, fortunately my 13 year old son was home and he called 911 for me.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd probably take off my shirt and use it to sweep my way to safety. LOL I do worry about being alone when something dreadful happens. I fell off a step and broke my ankle several years back. I was laying on the garage floor and couldn't move, fortunately my 13 year old son was home and he called 911 for me.
I was at the Arkansas State Fair in 1995 and broke my ankle getting off the ferris wheel ride. I had my 2.5 year old son in my arms when I fell...that was a nightmare.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'd panic. And then do something really stupid, like try to leap across the broken glass.

"Mommy needs help!" is absolutely an appropriate response!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
I cut inside of my arm pretty badly a few years ago, when I was alone. I shoved the cut under cold running water, then held the sides together while I figured out what exactly I planned to do about it. Another time I walked directly into a pair of sharp tipped scissors sticking out of a workbasket in the corner of the basement, and they sunk in a ways & opened a deep gash (idiot, didn't want to turn on the light.) Did the same thing.

Had it cut a large blood vessel in either case, I would have seen that with increased blood spurt and while inspecting it under the water, and could pack the would and apply pressure. In any case, I stay quite calm and react well.

In the case of the OP, the shirt removal idea sounds exactly like something I'd do. Otherwise, I have some large roasting pans in my tiny kitchen that I could grab and toss halfway across the mess as a stepping stone. Honestly, just not picking your feet up and very cautiously nudging the glass as you shuffle would likely get you out with nothing more than abrasions/tiny cuts, since you are starting off with feet already contacting patches of clean floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink