Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Mine is the day I learned the difference between a clove of garlic and a bulb of garlic.

I was all of 22 and making my first quiche - a vegetable one. I doubled the recipe, since the crust recipe made two crusts. I bought all the ingredients and carefully followed the recipe until I got to the garlic -- peel and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Well, I gave up after 1 "clove", since it was just getting ridiculous -- I just kept peeling the thing and it was never ending.

Finished making the quiches, and couldn't wait until they came out of the oven -- and they came out perfectly! Except they were inedible. WAY too much garlic. Really tasted awful and I ended up throwing them away. I was crushed -- after all my effort! My Mom really laughed when I told her what happened.
Haha, I did the same thing at 20, trying to impress my ex with a pot roast for one of our first meals after we moved in together. Absolutely terrible.

Tried to make caramel once by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk. It works! Only problem is, I had gotten distracted and let the pot boil dry and the caramel exploded all over the kitchen. Similar thing happened once at my mom's house with boiled eggs. She put some eggs on and promptly forgot about them and went to a neighbor's house. I came home, saw that she'd left something unattended on the stove, and peered into the pot just in time for one of the eggs to explode right in my face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
My biggest cooking mistakes come from cooking a new recipe, with a half-dozen or more recipes on the same two spread out pages. There I go, almost did it again tonite (or did I?), my eyes wandering onto a different recipe, and adding ingredients from that recipe to the recipe of the dish I had intended to make!

I really need to learn to block out the recipes on those pages and isolate the one I'm planning to make!

One of the worst incidents was making split pea soup, and I left it on the stove afterwards for too long, it fermented, bubbled up and overflowed! Had to throw it all out!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Being that I HATE following recipes, I tried making pizza without the proper instructions (10 year old self) threw a pizza party and attempted to pull the pizza out of the oven, it falls to the ground, and cracks like million pieces like concrete on asphalt!

For my 16th birthday, I attempted, yet, another pizza party, a DIY special where once again, I did not follow instructions.

My friends and I got creative with our pizzas. We pulled it out of the oven and it came out like rubber. The roof of our mouths hurt like hell and crust too rubbery to digest.

So, we walked to Papa John's and ordered pizza instead. Rainy day. Got soaked. Luckily, a ride came.

Lesson learned: when throwing a pizza party- Must. Follow. Instructions!! (My poor starving guests)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I was 8 months pregnant and feeling pretty tired and hungry after a long day at work. Dh wasn't home, yet, so I went into the kitchen to grab a quick bite for myself and to prepare dinner for him. After I'd eaten, I started on dh's dinner - put a chicken breast into the frying pan, put green beans in a pot and made a quick salad. With everything cooking, I went into the bedroom to lay down for a little bit and promptly fell asleep.

When I woke up, I had no idea how much time had passed. It could have been 5 minutes or 30 minutes: "Oh no, the stove!". I ran out into the kitchen and the chicken breast was looking a bit blackened but not exactly burned so good enough. Just then dh walked through the door. I was a little embarrassed about falling asleep like that so I served up his dinner and he sat down to eat...

As he cut into his chicken, the look on his face was priceless - the chicken might have looked kind of charred on the outside, but it was raw on the inside. And his green beans? I had never turned the burner on so they were cold!

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-13-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
When I was in high school I tried to use one of those boxed cakes. I thought I didnt need to use all the cake mix so you can imagine how my cake turned out. lol
I am laughing at this. Imagine screwing up a box cake mix. I hope you didn't get discouraged?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
It wasn't me but my daughter, when she was 10, entered a baking contest at the Public Library. It was a cake made with a package of pistachio pudding. Midway through the recipe she accidentally flipped the package over and used half the instructions from a different recipe. She was upset, but the cake turned out good and she won.

As for me, I think I might be getting a bit senile. Last time I made brownies I left out the flour. A few nights ago I decided to make southern fried chicken. I brined the chicken and got the grease ready and then proceeded to put the chicken into the grease without putting any coating on it first. It tasted ok, but I'm starting to think I'm losing it.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,316,689 times
After 30 years cooking and baking I one time forgot to add sugar to a muffins recipe this happened 2 years ago.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
I got occupied on my computer and burned hard boiled eggs.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
When I was 12, I was so proud of baking a cake by myself. Forgot to put baking soda in. Ended up with cake like brownies. LOL
Which, in my book, is NOT a bad thing.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Attempted to make banana pancakes in a stainless steel pan without any oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink