Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times

Advertisements

When I moved to the US I was amazed to see the prevalence of electric stoves here. I was even more confused when every cooking-related article or show talked about using gas as the only way to cook properly. Where I come from (a developing country), no one uses electric stoves due to prohibitive cost vs gas. So the question is, why do most apartments and a fair number of houses in the US come only with electric ranges?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
A few reasons - wouldn't it be much easier/safer/cheaper to install electric ranges, rather than gas, especially for a landlord?

Another reason -- no gas lines in the neighborhood. My old house had gas heating but still had an electric range. My new(er) house (50 years old) is in a neighborhood where there is no gas at all. I do see a few houses that installed propane tanks on the outside, and I'm guessing that is for cooking.

I grew up learning to cook on a gas range, and never thought I'd like electric. My old stove at the other house had the traditional rings and they were a pain to clean! But now that I have the smooth glass cooktop, I'm fine with just electric.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I dont know, I grew up with natural gas stove and oven.. Everyone in Florida I know has electric.
It takes awhile to get used to..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Where I live, nobody uses gas heat or gas water heaters anymore, therefore most people don't want to run a gas line just for a stove. Most homes here are "total electric".

Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Because developers saved money by adding one less utility to homes they built. Many were given special electric rates for whatever reason.. In the long run gas is the winner. Gas is cheaper and just as safe as electric in most cases. Hook up/ installation is easy and inexpensive on either. Most people prefer Gas to electric. If one is on LP gas then the choice might be a toss up for safety and economic reasons.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I like all electric homes. My neighborhood is all electric, no gas lines, and that is fine with me.

I love my smooth glass cooktop. And the self clean option is nice too, although I've only had to use it once.

Once I bought a home that had a gas dryer, water heater and gas range. I didn't like any of them, especially the gas dryer. I always looked for all electric homes after that experience.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I can't stand an electric cook top, but I would prefer an electric oven. I want a duel fuel oven/range in my new house.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I like all electric homes. My neighborhood is all electric, no gas lines, and that is fine with me.
After that neighborhood in Indianapolis blew up, I'm fine with it too! Every time I hear of some neighborhood/street that's evacuated because of a gas leak, I'm so thankful that there's none around here.

Confession: I've always been a little afraid of gas stoves/ovens. I once had an apartment with an oven where you had to light the pilot light every time you used it (it was ancient). That little "whoosh" sound when it lit scared me every time!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
After that neighborhood in Indianapolis blew up, I'm fine with it too! Every time I hear of some neighborhood/street that's evacuated because of a gas leak, I'm so thankful that there's none around here.

Confession: I've always been a little afraid of gas stoves/ovens. I once had an apartment with an oven where you had to light the pilot light every time you used it (it was ancient). That little "whoosh" sound when it lit scared me every time!
I was always afraid to light pilot lights. And I worried that if the flame went out the gas would fill the room.

My grandma had a gas furnace that developed a leak but she was unaware of it. She called me very upset because her pet parakeet died suddenly, he was young and had no health problems. I called the gas company to come out and check for a leak in her house. I was afraid they would think I was crazy when I told then her bird died suddenly but they sent a guy right over within minutes, and he found a gas leak in the furnace. He said it was a good thing I called!

After that incident I am convinced that electric is safer.

And by the way, I live about 15 miles north of the Indianapolis neighborhood that blew up.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I have an electric stove and I really dislike it. I wish, I could have a gas range top. So much better for cooking. Much faster too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink