Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times

Advertisements

I have to donate something for a fundraiser/bake sale at work. I would cook something but we are in the process of moving and most of my cooking stuff is packed except for very basic, everyday items. I plan on going to the grocery store or bakery and buying something to donate, but what will sell the best? So far the only thing that is definitely being brought is a Mexican hot entree dish, and one other person might make cookies. I was thinking about either baking a couple of batches of brownies and individually wrapping them, or else buying 2-3 different pies. What do you think would sell the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I have to donate something for a fundraiser/bake sale at work. I would cook something but we are in the process of moving and most of my cooking stuff is packed except for very basic, everyday items. I plan on going to the grocery store or bakery and buying something to donate, but what will sell the best? So far the only thing that is definitely being brought is a Mexican hot entree dish, and one other person might make cookies. I was thinking about either baking a couple of batches of brownies and individually wrapping them, or else buying 2-3 different pies. What do you think would sell the best?
You get a pass since you are in the process of moving! Why not make it easy on yourself and take in a couple of dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts that they can sell individually? If that isn't an option for your situation then I think your brownies bagged individually is a winner (or Rice Krispy bars or Trail Mix even)!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Cream Cheese Pecan Cake (sheet cake)
short version
2 Boxes of Vanilla Cake Mix (not any generics)
Can of Cream Cheese Frosting
Large Bag of Chipped Pecans
Make the sheet cake, cool
mix the pecans in the icing, if icing is too creamy add 1/2 box of confectionate sugar

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
You could get a dozen cupcakes that they could sell individually or muffins.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM

223 posts, read 694,004 times
bake sale???
hmmm....

Muffins are good. Cupcakes are a good idea. Cookies wrapped 4 or 5 in celophane is nice.
or you could get creative, like pound cake slices, a sheet cake in a weird flavor like carrot or cherry, or those frozen bake-n-go turn-overs.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
What about mini-muffins, the ones from the grocery baked goods dept?? You can bag a few in a baggie with a pretty piece of ribbon. Easy to do and no baking involved!!! :-)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Having participated in quite a few bake sales, I can say that cupcakes usually sell out first, especially if they are frosted and decorated colorfully. They are much easier to serve than pie, which almost always looks a mess after the first few pieces are cut away. Best sellers at bake sales are items that are already individual units, and don't require utensils to eat. Also makes clean up much easier, and easier to divvy up the leftovers (if any).

Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Having participated in quite a few bake sales, I can say that cupcakes usually sell out first, especially if they are frosted and decorated colorfully. They are much easier to serve than pie, which almost always looks a mess after the first few pieces are cut away. Best sellers at bake sales are items that are already individual units, and don't require utensils to eat. Also makes clean up much easier, and easier to divvy up the leftovers (if any).
I love cupcakes! I wanted to share with you what my girlfriend just ordered and received - a cupcake courier; she loves it! I am thinking about ordering one for myself.

3-Tier Cupcake Courier with Adjustable Trays at HSN.com

Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I love cupcakes! I wanted to share with you what my girlfriend just ordered and received - a cupcake courier; she loves it! I am thinking about ordering one for myself.

3-Tier Cupcake Courier with Adjustable Trays at HSN.com
That's a clever item - I never would have thought they had those! We had a potluck at work yesterday and someone brought cupcakes and they served them on a fancy tiered stand which I thought was terrific - here's a link to what it looks like:

Wilton Cupcake and Dessert Stands - Cupcakes & Muffin Pans - Bakeware - Sur La Table

Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Heres a couple of my bake sale quickies. I used to have quite the rep for makin phat stuff when I worked in the office. Just remember presentation is everything.

Fruit Cocktail Cake

1 can fruit cocktail undrained
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix with a spoon and pour in greased pan. You can mix them in but I sprinkle the nuts on top so they will toast. Also it looks better. Bake at 350 for 45 min to 1 hr depending on pan.

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
4 oz cream cheese optional

Boil and pour over hot cake. Poke with a knife so it soaks in. Cake tastes better if it sits overnite or longer.

Granny Cake

2 cups flour
1/1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
---------------
2 eggs
20 oz can cushed pineapple heavy syrup undraind
----------------

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2up chopped nuts

Mix dry stuff together. Add eggs and pinepple and mix well. Pour into a greased 13x9 pan.
Sprinkle top of batter with brown sugar and chopped nuts. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Pour topping over hot cake immediately. This is another cake that tastes better after it sits overnite.

Topping

1 can eagle brand milk
1 stick butter

Put in bowl. Nuke in microwave until melted and just starts to boll

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 11-04-2007 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Pumpkin bread or any other bread would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink