Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The long line of pepper bellies in my family have known this for centuries.
I have grown up eating hot chile peppers. My preference, serranos. I can't tell you the last time I had a cold and I "blame" that on chile. We eat chile in one form or another on or in just about everything, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Not completely - there is clinical evidence that it causes the release of endorphines, which block pain.
AND there is clinical evidence that it reduces inflammation, which helps prevent the production of cholesterol and prevents the cholesterol you do have from sticking to artery walls.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 AM

51 posts, read 265,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
I have grown up eating hot chile peppers. My preference, serranos. I can't tell you the last time I had a cold and I "blame" that on chile. We eat chile in one form or another on or in just about everything, every day.
Never tried those yet. I'll try to find them in Chicago. Actually since I've eaten chile on daily basis and never got sick as well.

My question is: some of the chilis are cultivars, like cayenne or naga jolokia. For instance a cayenne papper is bred from bell peppers and jalapenos. May these cultivars be archived through genetic modification? That would mean that we eat GMO by eating some of the chilis, which wouldn't be necessarily healthy.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
AND there is clinical evidence that it reduces inflammation, which helps prevent the production of cholesterol and prevents the cholesterol you do have from sticking to artery walls.
Yes. Also the burn is a feel good food as the body releases endorphins from the burn and it raises the metabolism a bit too. Spice has many benefits, in curry has very strong antioxidant properties as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
We eat every day chili peppers,cooked or raw since 30 years because of the health benefits. I cook a lot of East Indian food and also make pickles and there one uses a lot of chilies! They are a good thing!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
Never tried those yet. I'll try to find them in Chicago. Actually since I've eaten chile on daily basis and never got sick as well.

My question is: some of the chilis are cultivars, like cayenne or naga jolokia. For instance a cayenne papper is bred from bell peppers and jalapenos. May these cultivars be archived through genetic modification? That would mean that we eat GMO by eating some of the chilis, which wouldn't be necessarily healthy.

Serranos peppers are available in nearly EVERY grocery store in Chicagoland.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post

Nearly all of the commonly eaten chiles are cultivars and show very little resemblance to their wild ancestors. The wild types are very small, about the size of a pea, sometimes even smaller. Cultivar is a portmanteau of "cultivated" (or possibly cultigen) and "variety," it just means a type that has been created through human selection. This includes pretty much everything except wild bird types such as chiltepin, piri piri, malagueta, and cumari, which are botanical varieties, but not really cultivated varieties. Even these varieties have probably been selected to a limited extent by humans, but they're still very wild.

Cayennes are in the same species (annuum) but they were not bred from bell peppers and jalapenos. They predate Columbus and were likely selected from more wild types at least several thousand years ago, and possibly 8,000+ years ago. They are a lot more similar to wild bird types than either jalapenos or bell peppers especially, in both form and heat level.

Right now there are no commercially grown or approved GMO peppers in the US, though New Mexico State University has been trying to create some.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,007 times
Mine too. We have lived in S.Cali most of our lives though originally from Jacksonville, Florida. Relatives from there are always amazed at our ability to enjoy hot sauce with hardly a flinch. My 'kids' ages, 22, 26, & 29...love extreme hot...I could only handle mild most of the time but when I lost my sense of smell for about 8 months...I found myself seeking out extremely hot foods...the hotter the better!!!! (I suspect I slightly lost my sense of taste also...when my sense of smell/taste returned I had less of a desire for extra, extra spicy foods...but I now enjoy pretty hot food) My mother swears that hot food wiped out my kids asthma (all three were on an asthma machine almost daily & two or more times in the winter until they were teens then it completely disappeared) ...I dont necessarily agree...I think that may have been the fact that I moved to a tiled home with central air. But three cheers for hot peppers!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The capsaicin can work topically for arthritis using peppers but you have no control over the amount that's being applied this way. A capsaicin cream delivers a measured amount.
To the one asking about intentionally burning their hands with jalapenos to alleviate arthritis pain...the above quote is spot-on.

You could try making a jalapeno cream of your own, but there's an actual science to it, and it's not a simple matter of crushing a pepper into your Jergin's jar.

The safest way to deliver the capsaicin to your joints is to use a commercially manufactured cream. Ultra strength or Extra strength or whichever you feel will be most effective. In this way, you can also apply it daily and not have to worry about your skin peeling off in blisters

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Capsaicin's effect on arthritis pain is topical, not internal. You have to rub it into your skin with a delivery method such as cream, lotion, or balm. Ingesting foods containing chili pepper in it won't treat arthritis, at all.

It is also an irritant when ingested - which is why some people who eat a lot of peppery foods have heartburn. It can -also- irritate the rectum on its way -out- of the body.

Not everyone has problems with it, though most people end up with some kind of irritation if they consume too much, or if they consume more than their particular digestive system can handle. I'm fine with jalapenos and cherry peppers and banana peppers. Anything hotter than that, and I need some dairy or a pina colada handy to sooth the burn.

I'm not fond of "hot for the sake of hot" kind of peppers. If it's so hot that it obscures the taste of the food, then it's just a waste for me.
I can attest to what you are saying: I eat enough chili peppers to start the house on fire and my bad knee is just as bad as ever...Damn knee, boy do I with peppers helped!!! and yes, it can play havic with ones digestive system even though they might have some great health benefits, those are not part of the benefits. I remember when my dad would say: The peppers I ate yesterday sure got even with me this morning. I had no idea what the heck he was talking about, but time gave me the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink