Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I look up the distance from the restaurant to my house, and tip $1 for each mile. For me, it has nothing to do with the order total. I'm thinking about the distance and the time it takes them.

I've heard that the delivery charge at Papa John's doesn't go to the driver, it's used by the restaurant to cover the cost of having to pay the drivers.
wow, if I have to become a delivery person I want to deliver to your house. Your tipping is pretty generous, especially when you consider the delivery person might actually be delivering to several people. If everyone followed your thinking, the delivery kid could put himself/herself through college working just 3 or 4 nights a week..

Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, if I have to become a delivery person I want to deliver to your house. Your tipping is pretty generous, especially when you consider the delivery person might actually be delivering to several people. If everyone followed your thinking, the delivery kid could put himself/herself through college working just 3 or 4 nights a week..
It's not that unusual. When I've done food deliveries, generally the farther out someone is, the more they tip, regardless of the size of the order. And more for inclement weather.

And nobody is putting themselves through college on $50-$60/night in delivery tips if they even get that much.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous81 View Post
Where in the original post did you read that? The post is about the silliness to tipping delivery drivers on the basis of the amount purchased not whether tip or not (Why people presume I am advocating not tipping is beyond me). For a $10 pizza, 15-20% would be $1.50 to $2, for $30 of Chinese food that would come out to $4.60 to $6 despite the fact that effort put in by each driver is about the same.
Your atitude is the same reason that restaurants have started adding mandatory gratuities for large parties. Because of customers who think that the tip should be they same, no matter how big the party is or how much work is involved for the server.

I used to deliver $1000+ corporate pizza orders. It was back breaking work, dragging hundreds of ponds of pizzas into office buildings and taking them to a conference room. That one order could take me an hour from organizing and packing the pizzas, until I got back to the store. You think that I should have received the same amount of tip as if I delivered one single pizza to a house?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I usually tip the drivers $5, whether it's a single pizza or $50-worth of Chinese. It's not an easy gig and they deserve a decent tip.

Besides, if a delivery guy puts you in his good books, he'll go out of his way to make sure your order is delivered hot and fresh.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Haha, when I did that type of work, I always made sure that customers like you got your pizza last.
Which is probably why you're complaining about people and how they tip. Delivery drivers with attitudes like yours are why people don't tip well.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Your atitude is the same reason that restaurants have started adding mandatory gratuities for large parties. Because of customers who think that the tip should be they same, no matter how big the party is or how much work is involved for the server.

I used to deliver $1000+ corporate pizza orders. It was back breaking work, dragging hundreds of ponds of pizzas into office buildings and taking them to a conference room. That one order could take me an hour from organizing and packing the pizzas, until I got back to the store. You think that I should have received the same amount of tip as if I delivered one single pizza to a house?
I don't think you're reading (or comprehending) these posts very well. The OP compared ONE $10 pizza to ONE $30 Chinese food order. No "breaking work, dragging hundreds of ponds of pizzas into office buildings and taking them to a conference room." The OP specifically said the pizza and the Chinese food would take about the same effort to deliver.

Then I mentioned a story about $800 worth of pizza.

OF COURSE a huge pizza order that requires multiple treks should get a bigger tip than for one pizza. I've never ordered that much food at once, but I'd probably tip $100 on a $1000 order. Does that sound reasonable to you, or do you think it should it be the full 15-20% that would be paid at a sit-down restaurant?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

75 posts, read 116,201 times
Quote:

It seems many people on this forum would rather have an axe to grind rather than actually address the issue at hand.

My issue is not about tipping servers at restaurants. It is also not about $1000 delivery orders (which I have never placed and I doubt the average person ever has). It is about a situation many people confront when getting delivery. They often order $10 worth of generic pizza or $30 worth of more exotic food. Regardless the effort involved by the driver is not really that different, hence a % tip of the purchase order seems silly.

As for your $1,000 corporate order, a fixed percentage (e.g. 15-20%) of the purchase order would amount to a $150 to $200 tip for what is allegedly an hour's worth of work. So yes it would still be silly.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I understood your point, and wondered about the apparently confused responders as well.

On the other hand, did you read the story recently about the person who ordered over $800 worth of pizzas, which I'm sure required the delivery guy to spend a LOT of time loading the pizzas into his car, and he had to make NUMEROUS trips from the his vehicle to the house....then the guy only gave him a $10 tip!!! I don't think he deserved 20% (which would have been $160!) but come on....ten bucks?
I can top that one. I once was worked at a pizza place doing lunchtime delivery. We got one $5000 order. They divided it up between two stores. My store had to deliver 180 of the pizzas. The manager put four drivers on that order. He assigned me to do all other deliveries. I was pretty disappointed. There were only a few other small deliveries. But I did manage to get one $20 tip for delivering five pizzas to a law office two blocks away. When I got back I found out that the other drivers had gotten a zero tip on that $5000 order. Three of those drivers had been called in just to help with that one order. They weren't happy. The manager told me, "those guys are going to be pissed when they hear that you got a $20 tip, and they got nothing for delivering 180 pizzas" I told him he probably shouldn't tell them.

Some people's attitude is, they they are paying thousands of dollars for pizza. So they think they should be getting a discount, instead giving the driver a tip.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
It's not that unusual. When I've done food deliveries, generally the farther out someone is, the more they tip, regardless of the size of the order. And more for inclement weather.

And nobody is putting themselves through college on $50-$60/night in delivery tips if they even get that much.
Oh man, I used to love bad weather. I could make 2x, 3x the money for the same work.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I always tip drivers $5. Gas is expensive and if there's a "Preferred Customers Whose Food We Never Mess With" list, I want to be on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink