Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Does anyone else find it a little disturbing getting your dinner salad at the same time you are served your dinner? This really bothers my husband and myself. I just don't think the restaurants train their waitresses properly nowdays.
I don't like this either.
Back in the day, waitservice was *not* considered a marginal career.
Servers took such a position seriously, took pride in doing it right.
This attitude still exists, but it is harder to find, and management does not always nurture it along.
As Gypsysoul says, serving can be a tough way to make a living. Sure there are nights when the tips are good, but waitstaff are at the mercy of all the heavens alligning: food, customers, timing etc.
One thing I can't stand is the pushing of alcohol to raise the tab.
We went to some fancy place in Vail and when the wine came the waiter, while everyone was gabbing, quickly poured it into everyone's glass without asking them if they wanted it. That is unprofessional and money-grubbing.
OTOH, the customer is not always right.
For a look at the other side:
The Stained Apron
True experiences of waitstaff in New York City; some of it is awfully eyebrow raising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yeah, I hear you! We went to a really nice German restaurant in Las Vegas. Our waitress came up to us----a "very" large girl, not at all fat but LARGE/STRONG. Her name was Helga. She had a very stern look and basically told us what we should have and no questons asked!! We had to giggle because the food was great but that waitress wasn't going to put up with anything from anyone. Her service was really good but I wouldn't have wanted to meet up with her in a dark alley!!
ROFLMAO If it's the restaurant I'm thinkin of Helga was the OWNER

Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
We may not be intimidated by that question, but I bet a lot of people say "keep the change" rather than appear cheap.

I feel it is my role to decide the tip, so that question would get the tip dropped in half, and I would tell the waitperson why as well. A poor tip can be more effective with a reason why. Thaat way they can't call me cheap.

A few weeks ago I was in a cafe and said thanks to the waiter, and he replies: "Whatever." I went back to the table and took the tip back. Every penny of it.

I won't won't put up with indifference.
I'm sure you were an ******* at some point. Most waiters understand their job, and understand that they will not get tipped if they smart off like that. The only time I would do something like that is if I had a table with an obnoxious or very pompous jerk at it.

Example, gay couple comes in one day and orders nacho's. I place the order and come back a minute later with their drinks, and they are wondering why I didn't come back with the nacho's. Then he talks to me as if I am slow, the entire night. One thing after another.

So at the end of the night I told him thanks for being a jerk. I expected no tip anyway, the guys were losers and I do not deserve to be treated like a dog. I received no tip, as expected, and a complaint to my manager, who I explained the situation to. And he said it was fine he would have done the same thing.

Let it be known that if you talk to your waiter or waitress condescending, that puts a lot of stress on them and makes them feel like ****. Considering we make below minimum wage and rely on tips for our lifeline, we do not wish to be talked to like that. All we want is some simply respect and you will get much more of it in return with the hopes of getting a big tip. If not, then we will not hesitate to be rude because I personally don't want some losers tip that was a jerk the entire night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink