Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 PM

9,366 posts, read 13,028,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
So when someone sits down at a sushi restaurant and insists that the sushi chef (who doesn't have any form of heat nearby) cook all the fish to well done, what does that tell you about the guest? Now what would you think about a guest going to a world-class sushi restaurant that just paid $3,600 PER POUND at auction for tuna (Google it) and then asking them to cook their portion well-done? It's a waste. It's a crime against nature. We'll do it. But don't expect us to select the best piece of fish. There is no reason to do so.

And don't laugh -- happens all the time.
I eat the "proper" way, but it's really no skin off my back how other people prefer their food. Chefs are artists on commission. Just like a painter hired to do someone's portrait, a chef at a restaurant is supposed to please the customer. You're making food, not "art for art's sake." Unless someone is literally throwing it in the trash, there's no such thing as an objective "waste." Fish-based sushi isn't cooked in general (excepting shrimp and that fake crab stuff) but if someone wants well-done ahi tuna, I say give it to him.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
but if someone wants well-done ahi tuna, I say give it to him.
And we do. And the server will do so with a smile on his or her face. But we have every right to wonder why someone would pay for a hunk of tuna we just paid $3,600 per pound to acquire, and then ask for it cooked to the consistency of "Chicken of the Sea."

And we also have every right to take the least-attractive piece of that $3,600 per pound ahi -- because Chicken-of-the-Sea dude isn't going to be able to tell the difference. Thus we save the best pieces for the people who appreciate the effort we made sourcing this fish.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
And we do. And the server will do so with a smile on his or her face. But we have every right to wonder why someone would pay for a hunk of tuna we just paid $3,600 per pound to acquire, and then ask for it cooked to the consistency of "Chicken of the Sea."

And we also have every right to take the least-attractive piece of that $3,600 per pound ahi -- because Chicken-of-the-Sea dude isn't going to be able to tell the difference. Thus we save the best pieces for the people who appreciate the effort we made sourcing this fish.
Wonder away.

And I think that's fine if there's no difference between a well-done "excellent" piece of tuna and a well-done "mediocre" piece of tuna, which I suspect is the case. I don't see it as a matter of "appreciation" so much as exercising utility.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Maybe people would be less offended if you put it this way, Scoop:

Ordering meat well done allows the chef to use a piece of meat that he cannot use for his medium rare patrons, because it wouldn't taste right medium rare, but it tastes just fine well done.
Like the imperfections would be too glaring if you don't cook it longer.
But once cooked through, the meat is just fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
maybe people would be less offended if you put it this way, scoop:

Ordering meat well done allows the chef to use a piece of meat that he cannot use for his medium rare patrons, because it wouldn't taste right medium rare, but it tastes just fine well done.
Like the imperfections would be too glaring if you don't cook it longer.
But once cooked through, the meat is just fine.
+1

Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
I'm amazed that some would take this personally. I think they are just a bit too full of themselves. They cook food. They aren't saving lives.

I was at a restaurant once and someone asked for salt and pepper. We were informed the chef does not allow that as the food was cooked perfectly. After we got done laughing we left. And of course never went back.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm amazed that some would take this personally. I think they are just a bit too full of themselves. They cook food. They aren't saving lives.

I was at a restaurant once and someone asked for salt and pepper. We were informed the chef does not allow that as the food was cooked perfectly. After we got done laughing we left. And of course never went back.
I'd do the exact same thing.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,834,737 times
Quote:

It's one thing to not serve well done meat. But I would totally laugh and left too! Are they kidding themselves? Geesh.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:

Actually, they would say the food was "seasoned perfectly." Many, many fine dining restaurants do not provide salt shakers or pepper mills. Although most of them will provide them if asked for, many do not.

Did anyone in the above scenario actually try the food first?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
Quote:
Actually, they would say the food was "seasoned perfectly." Many, many fine dining restaurants do not provide salt shakers or pepper mills. Although most of them will provide them if asked for, many do not.

Did anyone in the above scenario actually try the food first?
Yes they did. But does it really matter? Again, why would you care? Why would it bother someone so much if someone wants to put some salt or pepper on their food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink