Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times

Advertisements

I'm full of questions tonight.

I do not drink soda/soft drinks/cola. Or flavored water or iced tea or any of those things. I find them all, without exception, gross.
So all I have in my fridge is plain water and sometimes fruit or vegetable juice. And an astonishingly large number of people I encounter claim to dislike water. When I go to other people's houses, either on the job or neighbors or whatever, I get offered soda or iced tea.

So, I'd like to keep some cold beverages in my fridge to offer random people - the guy doing my lawn, neighbors that drop by, like that. Because it seems polite.

Is there some sort of cold beverage that is liked by a lot of people? Canned iced tea, Coke, Pepsi, something else? I'd like to have a modest selection of cold beverages to offer folks, but the grocery store soda aisle is about a mile long and confuses me.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
I feel the same way you do about soft drinks. Usually if we're having a party or people around I buy a case of Izzy or get some Hanson's Natural Soda, make some good iced tea or lemonade. That's as far as I go, I just can't buy Coke and that stuff, if they need it that badly there is a 7-11 down the hill.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I'm the same way. I am clueless as to why anyone would drink soda except maybe at a party. Maybe buy some small bottles of fruit juice to have on hand. It's all sugar but it's still not as gross as soda.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM

41,960 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Nothing wrong with keeping a couple of cans of 7Up or bottles of iced tea around. It won't go bad if you don't use it immediately.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,642 times
Well, since we live about 75 miles from town we usually have a lot of "supplies" on hand including a wide assortment of
soft drinks, soda water, tonic, lemonade etc., as well as some beer, spirits (rum, vodka, gin). We do NOT have very many visitors however we do have some of the locals that stop by on occassion and I/we try not to drink up our beverage supply too fast.

Soda: 7-up (my favorite), coke reg.(for me), coke caffenine free for the Mrs., root beer-3 kinds(another of my favorites),
Dr Pepper, Cherry soda, orange soda, Ginger ale, and a couple bags of ice in the big freezer..

Really short on ice cream!!

HW

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Is there some sort of cold beverage that is liked by a lot of people? Canned iced tea, Coke, Pepsi, something else? I'd like to have a modest selection of cold beverages to offer folks, but the grocery store soda aisle is about a mile long and confuses me.

Ideas?
You can make iced tea. It's easy, cheaper, healthier and tastes much better. The canned stuff is really gross, in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
I would do some coke and diet coke. Maybe just go to a convienence store and buy one or two cans each??

Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,868 times
I don't know if you're going to want to make iced tea, then you have to provide a glass, and it will be wasted if not used, you'll have to make more, etc. I'd just get some cans of soda and throw them in your fridge. It's most convienent. I second himain's suggestion - a few cans of coke and diet coke would be good. Maybe Rootbeer also.

I agree with you OP, I don't drink soda (anymore) and I love water. I also run across people who don't like water and it's hard for me to understand that. I used to work with a lady who never drank it and hated the taste.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
There's so many variables with soda: regular, diet, caffeinated, non-caffeinated, and a combo of everything. Plus, if you offer someone a Pepsi, Coke is probably their favorite. Since it goes flat after a while, it shouldn't be kept for very long. If you don't drink it yourself, it just goes to waste.

Much easier just to offer water, lemonade, and iced tea, either homemade or pre-made. Keep a variety of bottles of Snapple on hand -- I don't think it goes bad, and there's enough variety to please most people.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
The selection is a bit regional, I think.

We ALWAYS keep bottled water in the fridge for guests, and outside workers. We also keep a small selection of diet coke, regular coke, and diet sprite. A couple of small bottles of tonic. I drink the bottled green iced tea (lite) from Kirkland (love that stuff), so that's always around. Here in Raleigh, as was true in AZ, workers who come to the house are often Mexican. So we always have a supply of Fresca or Squirt. (In AZ, we usually kept Orange Crush around, too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink