Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
My MIL makes this Bologna Salad for sandwiches. I know it sounds weird, but it is really good.
My husband's family calls that "funeral meat". i'm assuming it has to do with the fact someone always brings sandwiches made of it to funeral luncheons. I HOPE that's why anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
If I'm not cooking, I bring spicy Indian samosas with a tamarind dipping sauce, or Philipino siopao stuffed with chicken.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
When my daughter was young, every year the day before her birthday I had to make a home made angel food cake. I would cut the top off about an inch down, tunnel out the inside, pull out chunks, add them to jello and sliced strawberries, then put them back inside the tunnel and put the top back on. Into the fridge, and the next day it had to be frosted with REAL whipped cream and decorated with whole strawberries.
When my dad was alive, I had to make a lemon meringue pie for Thanksgiving. All from scratch.

For Easter, it was my "bunny cake". Two rounds, white, one for the face and the other cut into two ears and a bow tie. Frosted with "farmer frosting" (cooked white sauce/margarine/butter/sugar) , dyeing some pink for the inside of the ears and the nose, some black for the whiskers and eyes, jelly bean tie and coconut for bunny fur. Then my sister had a daughter whose birthday was always near Easter, so my bunny cake got replaced by a store bought birthday cake with grease for frosting. Why have made from scratch decorated cake when you can get a dry grocery store cake with grease for frosting???

Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Talking "Macaroni & Cheat"

I call it this because it's the best ever Mac & Cheese but I cheat making it:

Two Party Size Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese + two 8oz bags of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

* Cook both of the mac & cheeses together at the same time according to the instructions (for just one of them -- don't add extra time for the second one)

* Pour one of them into a casserole dish or foil lasagna pan, then cover with all the shredded cheese from one bag

* Layer the mac & cheese by repeating the above instructions

* Put full pan back in oven for fifteen minutes at 250 degrees

Now that's what you call twice-baked double-cheese!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
My husband's family calls that "funeral meat". i'm assuming it has to do with the fact someone always brings sandwiches made of it to funeral luncheons. I HOPE that's why anyway...
We call any kind of mystery meat "Chernobyl" chicken or whatever. Stole that from Married with Children - in video below from 01:15 to 02:45

Married...With Children - A Dump of My Own - YouTube

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
I have a red roasted pepper artichoke dip that I make...it's awesome and I hate artichokes. But I have to bring it or make it. Also, homemade chocolate cake-

Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Texas Fudge Cake. I went on a diet and stopped baking, went to a party and brought a salad, and my friend told me, he had waited forever for a piece of my "cake".

I suppose I should make one for the Fourth of July picnic.

The key to this cake, is to use dark cocoa. Not regular cocoa.
(cough) Care to share this recipe, or is it off limits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink