Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i see they dont have birth control in ecuador...my gawd..8 kids!!

one of my fav food scenes in a movie of two different food lifestyles,,,was my big fat greek wedding-when the parents were finally meeting each other,,
his parents brought over a bundt cake,,,while her greek parents were roasting a lamb on the front yard..

ONLY six!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok now I understand.

All these pictures come from the book Hungry Planet.

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats: Peter Menzel, Faith D'Aluisio: 9780984074426: Amazon.com: Books

BTW there are other pictures from the USA and Canada that reveal a much different diet.

The OP's link obvious had a small agenda to slam Americans.

Agree. I was shocked at what the American family had on their table. My grocery shopping looks NOTHING like that. More produce please....less crap

Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Very cool. Thanks for posting this.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
There was no fresh produce on the Americans' table...all crap.

Canada? A remote Inuit fishing village isn't representative of Canada, and what the hell is this?
Quote:

The Melanson family from Canada spends around $392 per week on groceries!
When it comes to what Canadians love to eat and drink the most, the answers
might shock you! Did you know that Canada drinks 8.64 times more Americano than
any other city in the world
First of all, Canada isn't a city, and what in God's name is Americano?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 07-23-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
^^^yeah really what is that? Hopefully a Canadian will answer. And that is a HUGE amount of money for one weeks worth of groceries. With careful planning and use of some coupons which I hate, I can get away with about $400 for a whole month for a family of 4. This doesn't include any paper products, pet food and very few processed foods. I try to have meatless dinners at least twice a week.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:50 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

First of all, Canada isn't a city, and what in God's name is Americano?
Hah, I never realized it must be a Canadian thing? Americano is a watered down espresso, they add water to it to make a full cup. Do they not have those in American coffee shops? I live in the States now and I never noticed.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Hah, I never realized it must be a Canadian thing? Americano is a watered down espresso, they add water to it to make a full cup. Do they not have those in American coffee shops? I live in the States now and I never noticed.
I never heard of it.
Espresso is concentrated coffee, is it not? If you water it down, doesn't it become regular coffee?
Kind of adding water to frozen orange juice or concentrated soup, no?

(Can you tell I'm not a coffee drinker?)

Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,004 times
American pick makes me think about my own pantry and how I should really freshen it up.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yeah, Americanos are common everywhere I've been (in US coffee shops I mean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I never heard of it.
Espresso is concentrated coffee, is it not? If you water it down, doesn't it become regular coffee?
Kind of adding water to frozen orange juice or concentrated soup, no?

(Can you tell I'm not a coffee drinker?)
LOL not exactly.

It's a little more complicated than that but in the end the taste is pretty much the same (to me). I don't like my espresso diluted with anything other than half & half.

As for those photos, I agree, it is not at all representative of my American household at least. Way too much junk and way too MUCH for that matter. Just seems like a lot of food overall, and we eat almost all meals at home or take lunch from home when we're away. We're a family of five and all of the chips, soda, red meat is absent from our weekly haul, and we spend less than half of the figure given for that family ($150 to $170 a week vs $342).

Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,241 times
Unfortunately, the American household featured here is more common than many of us want to admit. Sure, I can tell you my family doesn't eat like that. My wife would go ballistic if I tried to bring home some of the processed food I saw in that picture. But the reality is A LOT of Americans eat like that. Our nation's obesity rate is no accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink