Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are most of the coupons in our Sunday papers not worth using anymore? Today, we did have a few, but we had about 6 inserts, that is probably why. Normally, I am doing good to find 2 or 3 worth using. It seems they are either for processed foods, beauty supplies, pet supplies or you have to buy 2, 3 or more to save even 50 cents. What do the rest of you think and do you use them like years past?

Nita

Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Yes, I think the value of using coupons has decreased. Probably because during the financial crunch, so many more people starting using them. And grocery stores have had to accept a thinner profit margin, so they cannot continue doubling and tripling them. Around here, they were giving classes on how to use them to a point that it nearly 'games the system'.

One more factor, IMO, is that you can get the coupons online now. The manufacturers prefer that - they get your email address and sometimes other valuable market research information (age, sex, zip code, etc.) so that the customer using the coupon also becomes a source of valuable information AND sells an additional product item. I've often found that the online coupons are far more valuable for me as a consumer, but admit that it's a bit of a pain to get them.

In the long run, newspapers are an antiquated industry and the printed coupons are part of that. The smart manufacturers are moving their coupon and promotions to direct to consumer online techniques and social media.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
We use all that we have need for. We never buy because there is a coupon. Sometimes a name brand is less with a coupon than the store brand. We normally buy a Sunday paper for the coupons. There is enough savings to way more than pay the $2 for the paper.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
As I was bored last week, I spent the $5 fee to attend one of the "super couponing" seminars at a local venue. After listening to the hour long spiel, I decided that I would pass on most of the offers that I see in the papers. I am really not into about 90% of the items that are being advertised. If I see the rare one for items I use, I will go after it.

For me, I save a lot more money shopping at EDLP places like Aldi, salvage stores in and around Amish areas, and various ethnic markets.

Now, the DW, is the master of all the Walgreen's/CVS/Rite Aid programs and uses them to get all kinds of free junk. Sometimes, we actually get something that we can use free. If not, it goes to one of her charities.

I wish that those speakers would actually lecture on how to reduce your over all food bill with couponing as one of many tools. Instead, they all think that they can outfox the CPG marketing goods.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
There are quite a few coupons threads going in the Deals, Coupons forum. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink