Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was in a restaurant in Toronto the one and only time I ate snails. Of course, they were identified on the menu as "escargot". Can anything be more pretentious?!?

Anyway, they were awash with melted butter and garlic, so that was the taste. As far as the morsel itself, it was rather like chewing the eraser on a pencil. So I don't eat them but I also don't consider them mainstream - at least not in the U.S. of A.
You'll enjoy this explanation of what makes escargot escargot.

Anyway, to answer your question "Can anything be more pretentious?", the definition of the word is "something that's promoted with unjustified or exaggerated claims", which doesn't really apply to escargot as it is what it is, a recipe for snails (hopefully cleaned as per the link above).

IMO, pretentious more often is found in restaurants that make unjustified and exaggerated claims about "homemade", "organic", "authentic", "fresh", etc. when the food is anything but.

Just because something may seem to have snobbish appeal doesn't make it "pretentious" when it is what it is and doesn't overpromise anything beyond being tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Blood pudding aka black pudding is wonderful. I ate it frequently growing up. But not mainstream in the US.

LOL @ eating snails like eating garlic-flavored pencil erasers! I have eaten (and gathered for eating) snails, in France yet, and they are pretty rubbery and tasteless; redeemed only by copious amounts of garlic butter.
Same goes for frog's legs. Which, like squirrel, are too unnervingly mini-human-looking for me to enjoy, plus neither tasted that good to me.

Calling snails "escargot" isn't any more pretentious than calling crushed chick peas "hummus" or pasta by any of its Italian names, or Greek goat cheese Feta or lattes or cappuccino....it's just using the name of the food using the native country of origin terminology.
If you go to other countries, they often call American staples by their US names. Hamburger, hot dog, Big Mac. Really.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

LOL @ eating snails like eating garlic-flavored pencil erasers! I have eaten
(and gathered for eating) snails, in France yet, and they are pretty rubbery and
tasteless; redeemed only by copious amounts of garlic butter.
Same
goes for frog's legs. Which, like squirrel, are too unnervingly
mini-human-looking for me to enjoy, plus neither tasted that good to me.
I don't eat frogs' legs. I can't bear the thought of those poor little froggies in wheelchairs.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
What DO they do with the rest of the frog? Mariner's Catch Fancy Feast for cats?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What DO they do with the rest of the frog? Mariner's Catch Fancy Feast for cats?
If you are really brave, google frog soup.

Or, this:
What happens to the rest of the frog?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 PM

134 posts, read 348,443 times
I agree with another poster I hate any kind of egg dish where the yolk is runny it just completely turns me off.

On a side note about nasty food I have a friend who takes road trips all the time and tries to convince me how great potted meat with crackers is UGH lol I've seen her open the can and the fact that the "meat" is pink and smells like garbage puts me off.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I thought this was the thread where I had mentioned taking canned bacon into the field as a research student in New Mexico but I can't see any replies by me.

I read through most of the replies and, although I see several things I would not go out of my way to stock in my refrigerator or pantry, I didn't see anything I wouldn't try at least once. We also once tried a cute spit-roasted kangaroo rat in the field but I'm pretty sure roasted rodents are not mainstream in most parts of America, at least not yet.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I refuse to eat calamari.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Cheeseburger. Something about the way cheese smells on a burger, it stinks!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
I won't put cheese on eggs. When I go to a 'breakfast joint', I order a ham/mushroom omelette, well done, with no cheese of any kind.

You wouldn't believe how difficult that can be.

I don't like it on salad either. I mean, what's the point of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink