Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm spelling it right, but there is a commercial coffee system called mochomat which uses a liquid coffee concentrate. We've had it at a few hotels and restaurants, and it is the absolute best cup of coffee ever.
Does anyone know if there's a home equivalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know if I'm spelling it right, but there is a commercial coffee system called mochomat which uses a liquid coffee concentrate. We've had it at a few hotels and restaurants, and it is the absolute best cup of coffee ever.

Ewwwww... it sounds terrible..

Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
You think that's bad -- try Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would not kid you. It's so good that as soon as we take a sip, we know it's mochomat.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Hmmmmm...Just tried to Google it but no matches spelled that way. You got my curiousity up.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,082 times
Back in 1977, I worked on a Mochomat television commercial that introduced the concentrate system and the machine that was being marketed to restaurants.

If you've tried it in 2007, then it went a lot further than we expected.

The original system was about the size of a floor standing soda machine and had to keep the boiling water in a chamber ready to dispense. Remember, back in the seventies, instant boil for large amounts of water was not perfected.

When we sampled the coffee, I do remember it being very good.

Searching mochomat, mocomat, or moccomat didn't bring up any results other than this thread.

It would be interesting to find out recent events.

Closest thing I found was:

http://www.farmerbros.com/equipment/liquid-coffee/

Old 01-07-2016, 10:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

No. Actually, the coffee from those machines - if kept clean - is better than anything I have ever had from a Keurig machine.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:22 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
Duey Egberts used to have a system like this.. It was really pretty good..

Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Duey Egberts used to have a system like this.. It was really pretty good..
That is correct. I believe that the Mochomat was from Europe. The concentrated coffee was refrigerated and it was generally found in locations where coffee was in demand all day long and using a Bunn unit was impractical. It was a favorite for years at airport lounges and I remember seeing one at the TWA Lounge at Lambert International in St. Louis.

I never bought one professionally as the cost per cup was twice as much as using ground coffee and the equipment, as I remember, was NOT inexpensive.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,959 times
I worked for the Hobart Corp in 1988 just out of high school. I was subbed out to Mocomat (no idea of the correct spelling) working in the SF Bay Area. I installed machines at all the Bay Area Burger Kings and lots of hotels - The Fairmont Hotel got them installed as well. Coffee was in a concentrate form in an oversized juice box. I set them up using a handheld unit that would attach to the outside of the unit with magnets and allow you to change the strength. I honestly don't remember if I thought the coffee was good or not. In those days, I thought Folgers was good. :-)
They also had juice machines that worked the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink