Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times

Advertisements

Have you ever paid it forward or was the recipient?
With holidays upon us a nice gesture of treating someone does wonders for your soul and brings a smile to the face.
I remember one day I was in a drive thru and pulled up to the window to be told it been paid for by the car in front. I thought how sweet.

I notice Starbucks currently is rewarding this behavior for the next two days. if you offer to buy someone coffee, they will give a free tall coffee.

My question do you do this offer before you buy coffee or after? If after you have two coffees to manage or is it like buy one for someone get one free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,746,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
With holidays upon us a nice gesture of treating someone does wonders for your soul and brings a smile to the face.
I remember one day I was in a drive thru and pulled up to the window to be told it been paid for by the car in front. I thought how sweet.

I notice Starbucks currently is rewarding this behavior for the next two days. if you offer to buy someone coffee, they will give a free tall coffee.

My question do you do this offer before you buy coffee or after? If after you have two coffees to manage or is it like buy one for someone get one free.
seems like they will match you and buy someone a coffee

someone bought me a latte once at starbucks, i rolled up to pay and they just said the person in front paid for me...typically you just leave a 5 spot and then leave.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,285,961 times
Yes, I have done it at Starbucks. I was the recipient, so I paid for the next car's order. I only had one latte; they must have had three or four because it was more expensive. But that's okay. The person at the window told me the line had gone on for over an hour with each car paying for the next car at the drive through window.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
The couple ahead of me at the store were a few bucks short paying for their groceries. They were trying to figure out what to put back when I offered to pay the difference. They were really grateful.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM

126,303 posts, read 19,086,256 times
Sometimes I like to help out when I am in a grocery store. I know the cashiers.If I see someone in need I just tell the cashiers I will take care of the bill and to tell the recipient their grocery bill has been taken care of.I know where I live there is a month where they encourage people to pay forward in any way they can.I think it is a real neat idea.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM

136 posts, read 382,461 times
I "pay it forward" all the time and have been doing so before there was even a term for it.
I've always considered it to be a neighborly thing to do even when your not a neighbor.

I figure if you do enough good, something good will happen for you.
I'm still waiting on that! Until or if that ever happens...

I'll just be keeping on with my forwardness!

Peace.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,174,701 times
Yes, I've been both the recipient and donor in both Starbucks and McDonalds drive-throughs. Didn't that trend start with an Oprah show some years back? It's a nice, small thing to do and to receive.

I've also made up small shortages for the people in front of me at the grocery store a couple of times.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM

136 posts, read 382,461 times
Quote:

I notice Starbucks currently is rewarding this behavior

Why reward a behavior that should be instilled in all of us?

Every religion and belief structure on this planet teaches one to be nice and do good things.

Why don't we?

I'll never know the answer. It falls in that realm of questions
that no one will be able to fully answer...

Why are we here?
Are we alone in the universe?
Do these jeans make my ass look fat?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
Quote:

I do this all the time when I have extra to spare. If I'm in line at the drive-in and someone pulls up right behind me, I tell the cashier to add their order to my ticket. I've paid for someone behind me at the convenience store too.

It just feels good to do it, even when I don't see their reaction.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:46 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,609,011 times
I paid for the order of the car behind me twice at McDonald's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink