Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 AM

638 posts, read 994,743 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see Dr. Oz yesterday with that guest neurologist who was saying that butter,white rice,red meat,bacon,etc. is good for us and that we had been depriving our bodies of these needed fats and that fats are back? He also said root vegetables such as potatoes and beets(anything grown underground)is bad as well as whole grains....totally the opposite of what we've been taught for years? I am still trying to process all of it and am wondering which is right and true. I guess it all goes back to what I've always said....A varied,balanced diet in MODERATION. Any thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
I never knew white rice was fatty.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM

638 posts, read 994,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I never knew white rice was fatty.
Yes,white rice is high glycemic,starchy and carbyhydrate which is high in sugar which in turn is fatty. That's why they always said brown rice was healthier.

Last edited by Lover of Animals; 10-22-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
A guest on that quack Dr Oz's show is obviously a fraud.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
The whole idea that consumption of saturated fats is bad will go down in history as the greatest public health advice fail of all time. There's increasing evidence that consumption of fats do not contribute much to heart disease at all. Every since 0% fat became the craze people have been consuming more sugar as a a substitute in almost every food and people continue to get fatter. As a chemist and biochemist that studies carbohydrate metabolism, I have no doubt that in 20 or 30 years from me we will have shown that sugar consumption is worse for your health than consuming fat. No thaks on fat free crap, I'll continue to eat butter, eat full fast yogurts, eat full fat cheese, and use cream in my coffee instead of skim. Nature intended all of those products to contain fat, I'll consume the less adulterated and less procrssed versions of food compared to their non or low fat counterparts. Portions can always be easily controlled.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The whole idea that consumption of saturated fats is bad will go down in history as the greatest public health advice fail of all time. There's increasing evidence that consumption of fats do not contribute much to heart disease at all. Every since 0% fat became the craze people have been consuming more sugar as a a substitute in almost every food and people continue to get fatter. As a chemist and biochemist that studies carbohydrate metabolism, I have no doubt that in 20 or 30 years from me we will have shown that sugar consumption is worse for your health than consuming fat. No thaks on fat free crap, I'll continue to eat butter, eat full fast yogurts, eat full fat cheese, and use cream in my coffee instead of skim. Nature intended all of those products to contain fat, I'll consume the less adulterated and less procrssed versions of food compared to their non or low fat counterparts. Portions can always be easily controlled.
So you agree that bacon is better than eating whole grains like this fraud said?!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM

324 posts, read 655,438 times
They are focusing more on foods that cause inflammation not fat now days

Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
So you agree that bacon is better than eating whole grains like this fraud said?!
Of course not. A well balanced diet is key, with most calories coming from plants and plant derived foods that are rich in deep and vibrant colors. Fats though are no problem when consumed in reasonable quantities. The less processed the food the better. Low fat and 0% fat food tend to be more highly processed and have to be adulterated with sweeteners and artificially derived sweeteners to make them palatable. Nature intended foods to have fat so I'll eat them that way. Example: if you consume milk, you don't get the same nutrition from fat free skim milk as you would by consuming whole milk that hasn't been adulterated to take the fat out. Once you take the fat out of milk, it affects how you absorb vitamin D and vitamin A from it. The same can be said for salad dressing, using whole fat dressings that contain ingredients like olive oil will help you absorb more vitamins out of your salad than a crap fat free dressing. People should just eat food that has been left alone and control their portions.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,854 times
If it is a whole food, trust mother nature. Avoid the processed or "improved" foods.

Ignore the fads and doctor recommendations, Mother Nature never gets it wrong when combined with a diet of moderation and variety.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
Didn't see the show/guest, but all along I've bucked the trend of low-fat in my food choices, I try to get full-fat products when available.
I try to avoid low/no fat versions of foods, but sometimes that's all one can find at grocery store, alas.
I go for real sugar, real butter, and real salt-no "lite" substitutes, I much prefer the original ingredients.
For years I've been eating red meat, white rice, bacon-and potatoes (in mashed potato or french fry form), too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink